Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Requested

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Profile Evaluation Requested [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 05:56
Please give feedback on my profile below, focusing on the likelihood of admittance into the programs I have listed and the aspects of my profile I should emphasize in applications. I will be applying during Round 2 of admissions this year.

Demo: 27 / Male / White / American Citizen

GMAT: 750 (Q47, V46, AWA5.0) - 98th Percentile

Education:
BSBA - Double Major: Accounting & MIS - Auburn University - Magna Cum Laude - 3.7 GPA
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Varsity Track & Field Letter Winner
- Finalist, USA Track & Field Junior National Championships
Masters in Professional Accounting- University of Texas at Austin - 3.6 GPA

Work Experience: 5 years at matriculation - Big 4 Advisory Practice - Promoted to Manager in 4 years
- 14 direct reports
- Manage $2.5-3.0M in consulting revenue

Certification: CPA, CFA - Level 1

Volunteer Work: VITA volunteer tax preparation (IRS program)

Post MBA: Investment Banking or Strategy Consulting

Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, Northwestern (perhaps Columbia, NYU, or Dartmouth - suggestions appreciated)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Requested [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 10:36
You have a good profile. If I were you, I would focus all the energies on the essays. They will have more impact on your application and determine your next hurdle. Your weak link might be your extra curricular/social activities. Focus on five schools - Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia and LBS. Good luck!

www.interviewbay.com
- Get ready for the interview

ryantmc84 wrote:
Please give feedback on my profile below, focusing on the likelihood of admittance into the programs I have listed and the aspects of my profile I should emphasize in applications. I will be applying during Round 2 of admissions this year.

Demo: 27 / Male / White / American Citizen

GMAT: 750 (Q47, V46, AWA5.0) - 98th Percentile

Education:
BSBA - Double Major: Accounting & MIS - Auburn University - Magna Cum Laude - 3.7 GPA
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Varsity Track & Field Letter Winner
- Finalist, USA Track & Field Junior National Championships
Masters in Professional Accounting- University of Texas at Austin - 3.6 GPA

Work Experience: 5 years at matriculation - Big 4 Advisory Practice - Promoted to Manager in 4 years
- 14 direct reports
- Manage $2.5-3.0M in consulting revenue

Certification: CPA, CFA - Level 1

Volunteer Work: VITA volunteer tax preparation (IRS program)

Post MBA: Investment Banking or Strategy Consulting

Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, Northwestern (perhaps Columbia, NYU, or Dartmouth - suggestions appreciated)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Profile Evaluation Requested [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 12:03
Edit

Last edited by ryantmc84 on 09 Jul 2012, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Requested [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 21:54
ryantmc84,

You have all the right numbers to back you up in your applications. There is no major red flag that may raise questions on why you can not target the schools you mentioned. However, when you target the best of the top schools, every single details matter and your extracurricular may hold you back a little bit.

Adcom likes to see a consistent contribution from the applicant in the environment they belong to. It does not mean that you have to kick start a non profit to raise million $$ for the kids in some poor country or something similar to impress the adcom. You will have a good story to present in any activity that you choose to involve as long as you can show yourself contributing in an effective manner. It could be any thing such as non profit your volunteer with, events/activities you organize, etc. The important part will be to show some sort of leadership attributes and initiatives in these activities and not just have a list of places you go on weekly basis.

As we always say, MBA admissions is a very competitive process. You will find applicants with better numbers than you getting the dings and lower ones having the acceptance emails in their inbox! Your chances of success will depend on how well you cover the gaps on your extracurricular and how well you execute your application to make it stand out because at the end of the day, admissions committee members will look at those pieces of paper to make the judgments.

As far as your target schools are concerned, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at NYU and Columbia considering your career goals in IB. Good luck!
Re: Profile Evaluation Requested   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2011, 21:54