Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Dec 2014, 04:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation required

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Profile Evaluation required [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 21:03
Hi Alex

I had applied a year back to certain colleges and I got Straight Dings, No I/V's nothing. My stats are as below and I am going to apply again this year and hopefully more wiser.

GMAT :(First time around :690 Q47 V38 AWA 5.5)
GMAT -II : 720 Q48 V 41
TOEFL :116
Xth : 88%
XII:86.33%
Engg: 62.4% first class from Univ of Mumbai

Colleges applied to last year :

ISB,Emory,Mccombs and Broad(so much for being my safety :D )

Work ex : 4yrs in June 2011.

Started my Career with one of the largest banks on earth and am still in it. Started off as a Software Engineer and climbed the ladder and became a Module lead and then into a Requirements Analyst and Now have been fastracked for a double promotion to Business Analyst(Training going on, will take till Feb to be formalized)

Am a member of the Global rollout management team for my department and have rolled out products worth 40 million dollars + and counting (will go up by another 14 million by the time I join college )

Global owner of 3 Global Banking services offered by my Bank to customers. Single point of Contact for those services within my bank (40 countries and counting) and the services are worth millions of dollars each.

Have my own team (dotted line reporting) of 4 developers and am incharge of all the delivery that those guys perform in a year, as well as handling their performance assessments.

No international experience(refused a 2 year UK stint last year because I thought I would get a college. :) )

Although I would be sent shortly to Capgemini, Pune to mentor a team of 15, so that we can ease the pressure on our teams and offload some of our work to Capgemini and during my stint there I would be expected to be the Development Lead and handle all issues pertaining to the vendors.

Am up for another secondment in Fall 2011 to HK and I think I dont have the energy or the desire to continue in "honorary" positions of deployment lead/Development Lead/System Analyst that add value to me only in my organization. Wont be up for a team lead promotion for another 2 years.

Extra curriculars: From playing tennis at District level to acting in plays to being the head boy of my school and college to being a Climate champion and Corporate Social Responsibility committee member. I have some things to hark about here but nothing to show in forms of certificates. I have worked with various NGO's and am part of a committee that decides which NGO gets the money my bank decides to dole out on an annual basis.

My goals are to probably come back to my Bank as an International Manager(You might have guessed where I work) and yes, Retail banking is where I would like to work in. I had not intention of cutting down on the quality of the college last year and this year, although I might waiver but I still am resolute that I will not/shall not go to a college just because thats the only thing I was getting.

So here is my college list:
Ambitious list
1)Duke/Booth(mostly)
2)INSEAD(R2)

Stretch list:
1)Darden(R1)
2)ISB(R2)

Practical:
1)Emory
2)Nanyang
3)NUS
Safety
None at the moment :|

Sorry for the long drawn out post, but am completely lost where to apply this year. I know my strengths and I know that I don't want to shortsell myself going to any college. So can you just tell me where I can apply to and which top tier college I actually have a chance? As my focus is on general management and wish to stick to my own industry, I think that sort of bolsters my chances in the big leagues.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation required [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 09:10
You're shooting for the right range. As for which specific schools within these groups is a matter of your personal taste and opinion (not mine).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation required [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 01:06
Hi Alex

Out of the colleges I applied to the status is below :

1) Darden - straight Ding
2) ISB - I/V and then Ding(didnt ask me anything! )
3) Broad - I/V waiting for result
4)Nanyang - ding
5) Georgia tech - Ding
6) NUS- results awaited.
7)Mccombs(r2) - Results awaited.

I don't know what I am doing wrong! Would you have time to do a ding analysis now or do you suggest I wait for the rest of colleges to release their decisions and then approach you?

Re: Profile Evaluation required [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 09:11
Wait and see the process through first - get all your results, and then decide what to do next.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation required [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 03:01
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Wait and see the process through first - get all your results, and then decide what to do next.

Mccombs hasn't come back with anything, but Broad has. They are offering me a 4k schol package + GA ..So that basically covers 50% of my yearly costs. But what is troubling me is the college reputation. The school is fantastic for SCM(So, I hear) but when it comes to placing students in Finance (I am planning on returning to Banking, in product development roles) it doesnt seem to have the punch the top schools have.

I accept that currently my profile isn't something that will have the top schools running after me and I can surely work on the gaps in my profile in the next year or so. I just need a sanity check done! Given the current economic conditions inside and outside of Michigan + International student so H1B visa issues + Broad's regional college reputation = is worth the $50k that I would need to spend?

The college has risen quite spectacularly in the BW rankings in a year, but speaking to current students/alums isn't providing with any concrete answers! So would it be possible for you to comment on the soundness of ditching broad and possibly trying in the future?

Re: Profile Evaluation required [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 09:26
Honestly, this is purely a personal decision. Don't think that if you go to another school, your job prospects will automatically be better. It's a risk to give this up and reapply next year -- because it's hard to say whether you'll get much different results; you might, you might not, I don't know. As such, it's just something you have to decide - whether you're willing to take the risk or not. And there won't be any concrete answers for this because it's purely a judgment call on your part.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation required [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 06:58
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Honestly, this is purely a personal decision. Don't think that if you go to another school, your job prospects will automatically be better. It's a risk to give this up and reapply next year -- because it's hard to say whether you'll get much different results; you might, you might not, I don't know. As such, it's just something you have to decide - whether you're willing to take the risk or not. And there won't be any concrete answers for this because it's purely a judgment call on your part.

Absolutely sire! This is a purely personal decision on my part whether or not to forsake the opportunities I might/or might not get. But what I wanted to find out is, how prestigious is the college when it comes to the non-scm sector? Have spoken to alumni and some current students. They all seem evasive on the opportunities available in the banking sector. The standard reply I have received is that the career centre is very helpful and 'some' students have received jobs in Consulting and Finance.

Sire, your inputs on the standing of the college in the industry would be greatly appreciated! I am not asking for a complete data on the placement statistics, but a personal opinion of the programme :)

Re: Profile Evaluation required [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 12:55
nikhilfotedar wrote:
AlexMBAApply wrote:

Absolutely sire! This is a purely personal decision on my part whether or not to forsake the opportunities I might/or might not get. But what I wanted to find out is, how prestigious is the college when it comes to the non-scm sector? Have spoken to alumni and some current students. They all seem evasive on the opportunities available in the banking sector. The standard reply I have received is that the career centre is very helpful and 'some' students have received jobs in Consulting and Finance.

Sire, your inputs on the standing of the college in the industry would be greatly appreciated! I am not asking for a complete data on the placement statistics, but a personal opinion of the programme :)

You've answered your own question if you just trust your instinct. An ounce of behavior is worth a pound of words.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation required   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2011, 12:55