Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation...Thanks.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation...Thanks. [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 15:52
Guys,

Here is my profile:

Indian, Male, 29 yrs(will be 30+ when I start, if accepted!).

Education:
Engineer by profession, from a top state university in India(non IIT) and graduated with 80+%(top 10 of the class) but I am not attempting to convert to GPA as the procedure would differ from school to school. Not much extracurrics at Uni though I have some good extracurrics in school(way too dated I think). But just to emphasize my academic strenght, let me mention that I was the class topper in my high school( in class XII, as we call it in India).

GMAT: 700(48Q, 38V) --- >80 percentile in both.

My strenght is my work ex which is as follows:
Work Experience
I have 7.5 years of experience now and will have 9+ when I intend to start in 2010. I have grown organically in my company( no job switches so far) and became a Project Manager 2 years ago. I have strong leadership experience and am a Program Manager currently looking at a portfolio of projects and handling revenue to the tune of 6+ Million USD. I manage a 40 + member project team. Have strong numerical results to highlight in terms of revenue, PTI, client satisfaction index etc. Also, have Business development experience and working with other teams to develop proposals etc.
Also, I am a Top Talent in my Org( this is an executive grooming program) and am continuing in it for the last 2 years.
So, though my demographics are not my strong point( Indian, M, IT) but I hope my work ex gives me an edge since I have had continuous progress thoughout my short career.
I can get good recos I believe and write good essays I hope!

Extracurrics
Not a very strong point in my app but I do have a few. I the US state lead for my state for practitioners from my company who come to my state. I have executed this role for the past 2 years and lead a team of around 15 in the state, corodinating get togethers, team building exercises, acting as a single point of contact, providing feedback on company policies etc.

Also, I have founded a couple of technical clubs in my company which I lead for a couple of years before moving on.

I am also a part of http://www.kiva.org. Its a NGO committed to provide resources to entrepreneur in developing countries using microfinancing techniques. I am active member of this org and regularly help out folks in need.

My target is 1 year( I guess it makes sense with my demographics and exp....doesn't it?) course and since I want to work in Asia in general and India in particular post MBA, I am looking at the following schools:
Also, I want to be in IT post MBA, so, I want to advance my career in IT without any switch and may be add the strategy dimension to my profile.

Wharton MBA ( this is a kind dream school you might say....)
INSEAD
ISB
IIMA, 1 year
IIMC, 1 year

Specifically interested to know my chances
Kellog
Hass
IMD

My questions to you specifically:

1. I am assuming that applying in 2009 with a 2008 GMAT should not be a problem. Please advice if otherwise.
2. How do u evaluate my chances for INSEAD and Wharton specifically....Any other schools I should look at that may have a 1 year course. I know wharton is 2 years but as I said its a dream school and I will make an exception if accepted....
3. How are my chances at Kellog/IMD/Hass?
4. Any particular weakness that I should focus and try to improve upon? I dont intend to give the GMAT again as a 20-30 point increase will not get me into any school that 700 wouldn't....whats your thought on this?
5. and I forgot to mention that during my undergrads, I had to skip a semester due to a medical reason which I completed soon afterwards. I believe I should make it clear to the adcom upfront rather than being asked about it?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time in providing some expert guidance.

-Sunny
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Profile Evaluation...Thanks. [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 16:33
Sunny143 wrote:
1. I am assuming that applying in 2009 with a 2008 GMAT should not be a problem. Please advice if otherwise.
2. How do u evaluate my chances for INSEAD and Wharton specifically....Any other schools I should look at that may have a 1 year course. I know wharton is 2 years but as I said its a dream school and I will make an exception if accepted....
3. How are my chances at Kellog/IMD/Hass?
4. Any particular weakness that I should focus and try to improve upon? I dont intend to give the GMAT again as a 20-30 point increase will not get me into any school that 700 wouldn't....whats your thought on this?
5. and I forgot to mention that during my undergrads, I had to skip a semester due to a medical reason which I completed soon afterwards. I believe I should make it clear to the adcom upfront rather than being asked about it?

1. GMAT wont be an issue at all...its good for 5 years.
2. Hate to be the guy to break the bad news to you but I think you have no real chance at Wharton.
3. Kellogg and Haas, I think you are going to run into the same problem as with Wharton.
4. Your weakness isnt anything really in your control its more a function of your competition.
5. I would mention skipping time at school in an optional essay to explain the break in studies.

You unfortunately are a victim of your circumstances here...You are on the old side (you will count as 30 if thats how old you will be at matriculation), not a big deal at some schools but the bar is higher and honestly your work experience wont be anything special compared to many others in your age frame. You come from an incredibly common demographic, consider of the 2561 applicants to Cornell this year almost 700 were Indian (64% of all applicants were international but only 37% of the class is). A 700 GMAT is solid but its actually below average for these schools probably by close to 20 points this year coming year. You may have progressed at work but unless you work for Google, Microsoft or one of the blue chip companies the competition for you is just so tough. You if you are located in India and applying from a company over there its going to be that much harder...

I am not trying to destroy your dream but just paint the realistic picture for you. I think many of our Indian members who were admitted last year will back up everything I said. Your chances at a top 10 are extremely slim (without knowing your real work experience because if its google or something like that its a different story). As to what schools you have a shot at. I would say that Duke, Darden, Ross, Cornell they are going to be on the high side of where you will probably get in but thats more where you should be for reach schools. If you want to roll the dice and go for Wharton then try but your time and effort will be much better spent on schools where you are at least competitve.

I dont know about international programs so I cant comment on Insead or IMD.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation...Thanks. [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 18:06
Thanks a lot riverripper for your realistic comments. I much appreciate it. Just to clarify some of points, I am currently in the states( all my leadership exp is in the US) and will be here for sometime and would apply from here. As far as my WE is concerned, I am not working for Google or MS but for a Huge IT company HQed in the US. I believe its counted as a blue chip global company.
I see my WE to be my strongest point but I am sure you make very valid points on my profile. Because of my age profile, I am more interested in 1 year courses (and some top 2 years)and would appreciate if someone can throw some light on any good 1 year in the US in a good school.
I know that I come from a VERY common demographic, however, does the fact that I was amongst the youngest managers in the company and being identified for top slots(top talent program as I mentioned) not count for much wrt the top 10 or for other schools for that matter? Will this give me some leverage in my demographics where leadership experience is missing at times(being an insider I know how my profile compares with my peers). I am not bragging or anything but just trying to thrash around my ideas and see where the strenght of my app lies.
But yes, I will surely reevaluate my preferences and do some more research. Thanks again.
Re: Profile Evaluation...Thanks.   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2008, 18:06