Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation (Wharton)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Profile Evaluation (Wharton) [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I am looking to possibly apply to Wharton this year. Here is my profile:

GMAT: 700 AWA: 5 (verbal and quant was in the same percentile)
Undergrad degree: Computer Science and Engineering from UCLA
GPA: 3.45
Work experience: 5 years with big 4 consulting firm focusing on IT, recently switched (less than 4 months) to a management consulting firm focusing on healthcare.
Not much in the extracurricular department.

Can you give me an honest opinion of what you think my chances are with Wharton this year? Am only looking to apply to this school because I just moved to the Philly area 4 months ago for my fiancee, who is doing her postdoc at Penn (2 year commitment). and I don't want to move until she is finished with her program. If I do not get into Wharton this year then I will probably apply

Note that I am retaking the GMAT next month to see if I could achieve closer to a 750, since I got a 700 without much studying. The main reason why I am looking to go to bschool is to work for a top strategy consulting firm (i.e. MBB). I envision focusing my application on my progression from a full on technical engineer to a business consultant (yes I know this story has been told before). Do I have a chance at Wharton or should I not waste my time this year and just focus on applying to more schools next year?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation (Wharton) [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 10:03
I would also like to add that I would be looking to major in General Management and Healthcare Management. My consulting experience has been primarily in healthcare and government. Most recently, I have been focusing on projects related to the healthcare reform, specifically helping state healthcare organizations develop their vision around Health Information Technology (i.e., electronic health records, e-prescribing systems, etc). Also been helping these organizations obtain federal and state funding for these initiatives.

In the short term after bschool would like to work in the healthcare practice of one of th ebig 3 strategy consulting firms. Long term, would like to be a CTO/CIO of a healthcare organization or hold a state/national healthcare leadership position.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation (Wharton) [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 20:46
By all means apply, but know that you'll be a big stretch -- there's simply enough folks with stronger resumes than you have competing for the same spots. It sucks to hear, but adcoms do see it as a pecking order - and IT consulting is seen as a rung below strat consulting -- and there's simply enough strat consultants applying to schools like Wharton.

Again, apply this year, and if you get in, great. If not, be prepared to apply to a broader range of schools next year.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton (accepted), Tuck (waitlisted-withdrawn),UCLA (dinged)
WE 1: 10 Creative Advertising/Entrepreneurship
WE 2: 3 Web development
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation (Wharton) [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 13:56
I think you have solid stats and an interesting story. Wharton looks for passion and compelling reason to get the MBA. From what you've written, you sound admissible (including your GMAT as it is). It'll come down to details and how you present yourself in your application. Do you have strong recommendation possibilities? Perhaps you previous and current employers? Also, unlike Alex, I think your background in IT consulting can be used as a reason for getting the MBA (i.e. to fill in gaps in knowledge). If you knew everything already, you wouldn't need an MBA, right?

Wharton could fill the building with strategy consultants with 800 GMATs but they look to bring in a class with diverse backgrounds and future goals. Speak from the heart and present the best authentic you.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation (Wharton) [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 09:09
vcom,

Wharton doesn't ask the "why MBA?" question anymore. They are going the same route as HBS and Sloan. What used to be the most important question (why do you want an MBA give your career goals and career progress to date) has been reduced to a very simple "what are your professional objectives" which is now just 300 words (basically, they're asking "just tell us what you want to do post-MBA, no bullsh*t please"). It's as good a sign as any that THEY DON'T CARE to hear about why you need an MBA at this point.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation (Wharton) [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 11:29
Thanks for the candid replys! The good news is I just took an official practice test and bumped my score to 730. Hopefully I will get this score or better on the official so I am no longer on the borderline as far as my gmat score goes.

One additional question I had was whether it is ok to use recommendations from my previous employer vs my current one. I have only been working with my current employer for 3 months and would not feel comftorable asking for a recommendation from anyone from this company.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton (accepted), Tuck (waitlisted-withdrawn),UCLA (dinged)
WE 1: 10 Creative Advertising/Entrepreneurship
WE 2: 3 Web development
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation (Wharton) [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 12:05
Older recommendations are totally fine but you might want to briefly explain why in the optional essay. I used recommenders from several years ago. 3 months at your job is a fine reason.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Profile Evaluation (Wharton)   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2010, 12:05