Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evalution please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

profile evalution please [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 01:33
Hi Paul,

First of all congratulations on good work.

I think it might be a redundant query, but I know you would understand.

I am planning to apply in Yale, CMU, darden, Cornell/Berkley. [MBA finance]. Yale is a dream and all else seem statistically possible.

Yale I guess is a long shot.

could you please comment on my chances.

I am an Indian male 25.
GMAT - 710 (49(90%) Q / 38(85%) V)
GPA - 76% (first division with distinction) in B Tech (Comp. Sc.) from a not well known college. may be some 3.3- 3.5 range GPA

Experience:

work ex. 3 years in a top IT firm .. 4 by the time I am admitted.

1+ yr work ex in China. where I was completely responsible for a module (small part in a big jigsaw). It was at the time when I was a fresh graduate. Got client appreciation for the work. I brought in new processes there for efficient work and shorter delievry cycle, for a routine activity. It was appreciated and successful.
I travelled alot there in provinces like Xian, wu tai shan etc. learnt a fair deal of mandarin as well.

Rest of my experience is in India, and did get some appreciation for work, nothing extraordinary though.One promotion. That's common.

goals:

I did not join this industry out of passion but out of fashion,as it is quite popular in India. Some how got interested in Finance sector, or basically economics. This happened when I read about Myth of Inflation which was analysed very well by Irwing S friedman (his research included talking to Yale guys, hence my facination). Then I read few books on Tax systems, basic keyneasian economics, bent towards macro and got facinated towards finance. Not sure of my goal, but hope to see myself in evaluation related fields. want to know how tech comps are evaluated etc. Investment banking I guess deals in this one, plus it is lucrative. May get a job satisfaction+ money combo.

Extra Cirriculums:

I have a belief that society should be independent, especially in thought and action. So I am working with a local NGO to help children of local slum get education, helping financially and with my time as teacher, putting emphasis on analytic development and thinking. In FUN + Learning stuff manner. I am also supporting education of a relative, who is in comparatively non favourable circumstances. I am an active participator in social activities that are organised by the neighborhood. I initiated a cleaning action of some free area in locality and converted it into decent parking space that was a problem. That's latest.

In school colleges I did some activities but do not have certification to back it up.

when I was 10-11yr old, I used to start small ventures, one starting a small library to fufill the needs of children age 6-10 in neigbourhood, providing comics and other child magzines, another was to make decorative pieces and tried to sell them in a local shop, it failed miserably, but somehow satisfied my facination towards art. I did not become an artist, but always appreciate it.
Started and managed a cricket club when I was 15.
Travelled extensively throughout India. Completed my schooling from 5 different states in India.

That was my story.

What schools could I take as backup. I want to apply max in 5 colleges.

Thanks in advance for all your time.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: profile evalution please [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 13:58
rite wrote:
Hi Paul,

First of all congratulations on good work.

I think it might be a redundant query, but I know you would understand.

I am planning to apply in Yale, CMU, darden, Cornell/Berkley. [MBA finance]. Yale is a dream and all else seem statistically possible.

Yale I guess is a long shot.

could you please comment on my chances.

I am an Indian male 25.
GMAT - 710 (49(90%) Q / 38(85%) V)
GPA - 76% (first division with distinction) in B Tech (Comp. Sc.) from a not well known college. may be some 3.3- 3.5 range GPA

Experience:

work ex. 3 years in a top IT firm .. 4 by the time I am admitted.

1+ yr work ex in China. where I was completely responsible for a module (small part in a big jigsaw). It was at the time when I was a fresh graduate. Got client appreciation for the work. I brought in new processes there for efficient work and shorter delievry cycle, for a routine activity. It was appreciated and successful.
I travelled alot there in provinces like Xian, wu tai shan etc. learnt a fair deal of mandarin as well.

Rest of my experience is in India, and did get some appreciation for work, nothing extraordinary though.One promotion. That's common.

goals:

I did not join this industry out of passion but out of fashion,as it is quite popular in India. Some how got interested in Finance sector, or basically economics. This happened when I read about Myth of Inflation which was analysed very well by Irwing S friedman (his research included talking to Yale guys, hence my facination). Then I read few books on Tax systems, basic keyneasian economics, bent towards macro and got facinated towards finance. Not sure of my goal, but hope to see myself in evaluation related fields. want to know how tech comps are evaluated etc. Investment banking I guess deals in this one, plus it is lucrative. May get a job satisfaction+ money combo.

Extra Cirriculums:

I have a belief that society should be independent, especially in thought and action. So I am working with a local NGO to help children of local slum get education, helping financially and with my time as teacher, putting emphasis on analytic development and thinking. In FUN + Learning stuff manner. I am also supporting education of a relative, who is in comparatively non favourable circumstances. I am an active participator in social activities that are organised by the neighborhood. I initiated a cleaning action of some free area in locality and converted it into decent parking space that was a problem. That's latest.

In school colleges I did some activities but do not have certification to back it up.

when I was 10-11yr old, I used to start small ventures, one starting a small library to fufill the needs of children age 6-10 in neigbourhood, providing comics and other child magzines, another was to make decorative pieces and tried to sell them in a local shop, it failed miserably, but somehow satisfied my facination towards art. I did not become an artist, but always appreciate it.
Started and managed a cricket club when I was 15.
Travelled extensively throughout India. Completed my schooling from 5 different states in India.

That was my story.

What schools could I take as backup. I want to apply max in 5 colleges.

Thanks in advance for all your time.

Rite,

Your China experience should help you stand out, and your GMAT score is good. If Yale is your dream then I think you're in good shape because you are certainly competitive for them. You also should feel optimistic about Darden, CMU, and Cornell. Your GMAT is above their median, and based on last year's selectivity rates, Cornell and Darden are easier to get into than Yale. The only potentially tough school for you is Haas, which has the lowest selectivity rate of all the schools you named. Duke, Rochester, and Indiana would be good safety schools.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2006, 22:47
Thanks for your time Paul.

One more query though. How much the reputation of undergrad college matters?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2006, 09:16
rite wrote:
Thanks for your time Paul.

One more query though. How much the reputation of undergrad college matters?

rite,

It's not the reputation of the undergrad college that matters as much as its academic difficulty. That is, adcoms know what the tough schools are and may cut you some slack for not getting a 4.0. If you went to a bunny school, however, you will want to show them an extremely high GPA.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter