Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Review [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 13:01
Hello everyone I plan on attending b-school in 2010 and I am getting ready to take my GMAT with in the next few months. Can anyone pleae provide me with some feedback on my chances for acceptance in to any of the schools I list below. I have not taken my GMAT as I mentioned above but I have been scoring between 700-730 in all my practice tests. Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to hearing your responses!

I am a 27 year old Hispanic-American, will be 28 when I enroll.

I plan on applying to UNC, Duke, Virginia, Cornell,Yale, Tuck(Huge reach I know) also the University of Rochester.

Academics (My biggest worry)

I have a 3.2 GPA from a non-target school in South Florida. Two years of community college with an upward trend in grades. When I transferred out of CC to a better known university with in Florida, I had two consecutive semesters which I had to drop completely, all though they aren't failing grades they are W's, this was due to me having to maintain a full time job to pay for school, this also led me to graduating two years later than expected in 2006. Secondly, I have a problem with my transcripts, when I did graduate from the non-target school I got a job offer in New York, not planning to walk in my graduation ceremony I didnt think that I should have changed my address and information with the school, with that said they were trying to contact me to let me know I had a problem with my transcripts, it was a clerical problem, my foreign language credits didnt appropriately transfer over from high school, this problem was fixed but by the time I found out and fixed it, it was April 2008, so it shows on my transcript that I have less work experience than I really do, the job I got in New York was based upon my graduation and thank god they did not bother to check again after I started working.

Work Experience

1 Year in Investor Relations and I managed one employee
2 years will be 3 by the time I enroll working at Fortune 500 Utility company in Florida, calculating and working on getting approved the company's cost recovery factors which are charged to over 1 million customers and recovery multiple billions per year. Manage two cross functional teams with about 5-7 people each.

Extra-Curriculars

I am a volunteer leader, coordinating 3 or 4 volunteers every week to play games and talk to teens at an inner city runaway shelter. I am also the representative through out the United Way fundraising season for my department.

Sorry about the long post but I just wanted to get an honest answer to my chances and I feel you need my whole story for that, thank you in advance again for all your help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 15:22
Hi bschool2010! I think you have an awesome profile, and you'll get into one or more of the schools you mentioned if you play your cards right. A couple of things I see:

-The academic thing doesn't sound too catastrophic to me, esp. cause you are 27 and well out of school. I would turn the Ws into a positive by using the optional essay to talk about what you learned from trying to balance school with a full-time job. A clerical error in a transcript can happen to anybody, I think that's minor and I'm not even sure you need to address it at this point. Focus on the positive.
-Apply through the consortium - http://www.cgsm.org. You seem like their dream candidate - talk about your volunteer experience in their "core/mission" essay. Through them you will be able to apply to UNC, Virginia, Yale, and Tuck (possibly others, but those are the ones I remember) using a common app for only $210 total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 19:05
Thanks a lot for the response and advice. I just went to The Consortium website and I will definately use them to apply for my target schools. Also in regards to my work experience dont you think I should bring that up because it will look like I only have two years of work experience instead of the 4 I would really have?
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Profile Review [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 07:12
I would make sure it's clear, either in the application itself or in an optional essay, what the situation is with the transcript, just so that there doesn't appear to be any discrepancy between the timeline you describe in the application and the dates on the transcript. It's not a big deal, since clerical mistakes happen and the main focus would be on whether you have the degree and grades you report.

In terms of how much work experience you have, the verification done by schools would ask the employer to verify the start and end date of employment, so you won't have trouble that the school thinks you have less experience than you do.

I agree with rjacobs that you've got a great shot at the schools you listed. Don't worry about GPA and the W's. You have a good reason for the W's, and your GPA isn't so bad. Especially if you score 700+ on GMAT like you have been in the practice tests.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Profile Review   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2009, 07:12