Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 09:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

publishing

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 145
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
publishing [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 19:32
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

A. their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which ranges
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: publishing [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 19:48
cruiser wrote:
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

A. their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which ranges


Man this one is wierd.

Elim AC for use of "their" to refer to singular company.

From here I say E b/c it appears that B and D improperly use "which".

However, E seems incorrect b/c the percentage of market shares will increase not the company. So id opt for D.

I really don't know, but come test day id say E.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 145
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 19:54
I am stuck btw D and E.
Not sure which one is wrong and why...
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:05
cruiser wrote:
I am stuck btw D and E.
Not sure which one is wrong and why...


haha NO! ur suppose to know the OA!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 145
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:10
I know the OA.
Its E.

I dont know why D is wrong.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:30
cruiser wrote:
I know the OA.
Its E.

I dont know why D is wrong.


Well id say b/c the use of which. which refers to country. the modifying phrase is suppose to modify the 21 billion$ book market.


Again, I don't like E though b/c the company is not increasing from 6%-10%, but the company's shares in the book market.

As for another explanation? I can't see why D is wrong.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 529
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: publishing [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:36
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
cruiser wrote:
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

A. their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which ranges


Man this one is wierd.

Elim AC for use of "their" to refer to singular company.

From here I say E b/c it appears that B and D improperly use "which".

However, E seems incorrect b/c the percentage of market shares will increase not the company. So id opt for D.

I really don't know, but come test day id say E.


One of the main flaw in D is the in-correct modifier.. "billion book market in the country, which ranges" .. Here it implies that the country ranges from 21 billion $. Actually it is the market of the country that ranges.. This problem is addressed by E..
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 529
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:40
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
cruiser wrote:
I know the OA.
Its E.

I dont know why D is wrong.


Well id say b/c the use of which. which refers to country. the modifying phrase is suppose to modify the 21 billion$ book market.


Again, I don't like E though b/c the company is not increasing from 6%-10%, but the company's shares in the book market.

As for another explanation? I can't see why D is wrong.


There is no problem with E I guess. Here the "Company" is the subject and at the center of the action. Company is increasing its share (First Person) and NOT company's share being increased by something else..
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 932
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: publishing [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 21:28
Amit05 wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
cruiser wrote:
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

A. their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which ranges


Man this one is wierd.

Elim AC for use of "their" to refer to singular company.

From here I say E b/c it appears that B and D improperly use "which".

However, E seems incorrect b/c the percentage of market shares will increase not the company. So id opt for D.

I really don't know, but come test day id say E.


One of the main flaw in D is the in-correct modifier.. "billion book market in the country, which ranges" .. Here it implies that the country ranges from 21 billion $. Actually it is the market of the country that ranges.. This problem is addressed by E..


good explanation.. I also picked E over D for this same reason :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 22:01
Strange one, but here goes.

A,C - 'their' is the wrong pronoun
B,D - suggests the country ranges from ....

E seems the best of the whole lot.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Joined: 09 Oct 2006
Posts: 170
Location: Africa
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: publishing [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 03:17
E is correct because
after increase.....to X from Y
the modifier 'which' has been correctly used
D is wrong because of
inappropriate use of 'which'
the beginning in its share is not appropriate
increase from X to Y is not proper.

cruiser wrote:
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

A. their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which ranges
Re: publishing   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2007, 03:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
publishing a book dws123 0 31 Jul 2012, 01:39
1 Publishers Financier 17 25 Sep 2010, 01:41
1 Book publishers have traditionally published a few books joemama142000 15 18 Jan 2010, 23:35
BF publishing industry Gauss 14 15 Jul 2006, 01:28
Police published a wanted Antmavel 8 03 Oct 2005, 23:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

publishing

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.