Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: publishing [#permalink]
cruiser wrote:
I am stuck btw D and E.
Not sure which one is wrong and why...

haha NO! ur suppose to know the OA!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I know the OA.
Its E.

I dont know why D is wrong.
VP
VP
Send PM
cruiser wrote:
I know the OA.
Its E.

Well id say b/c the use of which. which refers to country. the modifying phrase is suppose to modify the 21 billion$ book market.

Again, I don't like E though b/c the company is not increasing from 6%-10%, but the company's shares in the book market.

As for another explanation? I can't see why D is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Send PM
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
cruiser wrote:
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

A. their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which ranges

Man this one is wierd.

Elim AC for use of "their" to refer to singular company.

From here I say E b/c it appears that B and D improperly use "which".

However, E seems incorrect b/c the percentage of market shares will increase not the company. So id opt for D.

I really don't know, but come test day id say E.

One of the main flaw in D is the in-correct modifier.. "billion book market in the country, which ranges" .. Here it implies that the country ranges from 21 billion $. Actually it is the market of the country that ranges.. This problem is addressed by E..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Send PM
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
cruiser wrote:
I know the OA.
Its E.

Well id say b/c the use of which. which refers to country. the modifying phrase is suppose to modify the 21 billion$ book market.

Again, I don't like E though b/c the company is not increasing from 6%-10%, but the company's shares in the book market.

As for another explanation? I can't see why D is wrong.

There is no problem with E I guess. Here the "Company" is the subject and at the center of the action. Company is increasing its share (First Person) and NOT company's share being increased by something else..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [0]
Send PM
Amit05 wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
cruiser wrote:
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

A. their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which ranges

Man this one is wierd.

Elim AC for use of "their" to refer to singular company.

From here I say E b/c it appears that B and D improperly use "which".

However, E seems incorrect b/c the percentage of market shares will increase not the company. So id opt for D.

I really don't know, but come test day id say E.

One of the main flaw in D is the in-correct modifier.. "billion book market in the country, which ranges" .. Here it implies that the country ranges from 21 billion $. Actually it is the market of the country that ranges.. This problem is addressed by E..

good explanation.. I also picked E over D for this same reason :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
Strange one, but here goes.

A,C - 'their' is the wrong pronoun
B,D - suggests the country ranges from ....

E seems the best of the whole lot.
Manager
Manager
Status:Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
E is correct because
after increase.....to X from Y
the modifier 'which' has been correctly used
D is wrong because of
inappropriate use of 'which'
the beginning in its share is not appropriate
increase from X to Y is not proper.

cruiser wrote:

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts