Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Purdue with Fulbright or CUHK without?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Purdue with Fulbright or CUHK without? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 04:57
Hello everyone! :)

I have already had a similar question asked in another part of the forum, however the Fulbright Comission decided to send me to Purdue Krannert School of Management instead of Niagara..

so basically, similar question: What would you recommend: Purdue with a Fulbright scholarship or CUHK without (I still may get a couple of smaller scholarships, but not a big and "famous" one such as Fulbright).

Particularly unsure, because If I look at the trend (say FT rankings) Purdue seems to score lower every year (used to be top 25 or so in 2002). On the other side CUHK seems to improve in rankings and could be interesting due to the China focus for future employment..
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Purdue with Fulbright or CUHK without? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 22:31
munzwurf wrote:
Hello everyone! :)

I have already had a similar question asked in another part of the forum, however the Fulbright Comission decided to send me to Purdue Krannert School of Management instead of Niagara..

so basically, similar question: What would you recommend: Purdue with a Fulbright scholarship or CUHK without (I still may get a couple of smaller scholarships, but not a big and "famous" one such as Fulbright).

Particularly unsure, because If I look at the trend (say FT rankings) Purdue seems to score lower every year (used to be top 25 or so in 2002). On the other side CUHK seems to improve in rankings and could be interesting due to the China focus for future employment..

1) A Fulbright's a Fulbright and is always recognized.
2) A Fulbright likely comes with more than $. Think about the network and opportunities.
3) Think about your ideal b-school experience (environment, funding, opportunities, etc.).
4) Research your options for attending CUHK while at Purdue. Purdue seems to be actively pursuing partnerships with Asian institutions of higher edu.

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2008a/0806 ... China.html
http://www.ippu.purdue.edu/AsianInitiative/

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Purdue with Fulbright or CUHK without? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2009, 04:12
hey thanks for the ideas :)

Another thing, I don't know in how far this would affect decisions: In Purdue, I can only do a Master of Sciences and Industrial Administration, whereas in CUHK I would be able to do an MBA. How is the recognition and reputation of the MSIA when compared to an MBA? And does it make sense to do a MSIA, work for a bit (I am only 21 anyway) and do an MBA in my mid twenties in a (hopefully) top school? Or would this be a waste of time and money?

Would be really greatful for a couple of insights :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Purdue with Fulbright or CUHK without? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2009, 13:39
Yikes. A true dilemma I see. I just googled the MSIA and see that it's a one-year MBA; it's just not called one. I'm not sure if I'd be interested in doing a one-year accelerated MBA and then pursuing another MBA for the sake of having an MBA. If the MBA's what you're after, go for it. After all, it's marketable in all sectors. However, I must say that one-year isn't bad especially if your current objective is develop your managerial skills and still have access to academia and all it's bells and whistles like internships, jobs and exchange programs which WILL NOT be readily available when you exit.

FYI I declined a full ride at Carnegie Mellon for a master's in policy and management because I didn't want the curriculum. I probably would have really considered it if it wasn't a two year program but it was so I nixed it because I'm adamant about attending b-school (no interest in policy whatsoever). Go with the environment and curriculum in which you are most interested and most likely to thrive (intellectually, professionally, personally, etc).

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Re: Purdue with Fulbright or CUHK without?   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2009, 13:39