Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

quant question!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

quant question! [#permalink] New post 28 May 2007, 11:24
i tend to get frustrated when i make stupid mistakes.. grrrr! LOL! anyways, i was wondering how close to the 'real' questions are the ones in the GMAT quant review?? i have gone through 80 in the PS section and 50 in the DS section and i am getting about 75% in the PS correct and a pretty consistent 70% in the DS correct.. my timing i feel is good!
i understand it depends on the difficulty of the question so that the computer adaps.... i just started 3 days ago on this math portion.. is this an Ok amount considering i just started practicing? also, if i scored 40Q what would i need to score on Verbal to hit 600??

should i get another math review book? or do u think i would be OK to go through the 1000 questions on here.. and then the preptests? (i have not done any preptests except my initial diag bc i know it will only dicourage me as i dont plan on taking it for 2 more months)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: quant question! [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 07:31
andrealittrell wrote:
i tend to get frustrated when i make stupid mistakes.. grrrr! LOL! anyways, i was wondering how close to the 'real' questions are the ones in the GMAT quant review?? i have gone through 80 in the PS section and 50 in the DS section and i am getting about 75% in the PS correct and a pretty consistent 70% in the DS correct.. my timing i feel is good!
i understand it depends on the difficulty of the question so that the computer adaps.... i just started 3 days ago on this math portion.. is this an Ok amount considering i just started practicing? also, if i scored 40Q what would i need to score on Verbal to hit 600??

should i get another math review book? or do u think i would be OK to go through the 1000 questions on here.. and then the preptests? (i have not done any preptests except my initial diag bc i know it will only dicourage me as i dont plan on taking it for 2 more months)

Well, it's a good start. The problem is if you are using the OG 11, questions are arranged in easy(1-100)-medium(100-170)-(170-250)semi hard order. To be honest I didn't see any hard questions in OG. The best way to avoid stupid mistakes it practice. Also keep the error log to see where you are making these mistakes. I'd recommend to go over all 1000 series. I guess if you get 32-35 on your verbal you'll get your 600 (600= Q42 V30)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 11:54
hey thanx! i went through questions in the 1000 series.. they are pretty good!!! i think alot of it is just learning this math over again!

i actually noticed that i got alot of these types of questions wrong (sorry.. i do not kno what they are called!) i was wondering what the best approach to tackle this question is! (right now i try to plug numbers in and then see which one works with the answer i need!)

10. When ticket sales began, Pat was the nth customer in line for a ticket, and customers purchased their tickets at the rate of x customers per minute. Of the following, which best approximates the time, in minutes, that Pat had to wait in line from the moment ticket sales began?
(A) (n - 1) x
(B) n + x –1
(C)
(D)
(E)

sorry.. it didnt all come out! but if someone could help me on the 'approach' that you use for these types of questions, that would be great!!!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: quant question! [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 00:35
Sergey_is_cool wrote:
Well, it's a good start. The problem is if you are using the OG 11, questions are arranged in easy(1-100)-medium(100-170)-(170-250)semi hard order. To be honest I didn't see any hard questions in OG. The best way to avoid stupid mistakes it practice. Also keep the error log to see where you are making these mistakes. I'd recommend to go over all 1000 series. I guess if you get 32-35 on your verbal you'll get your 600 (600= Q42 V30)

Thanks, good information Sergey.

I started OG 11 PS 2 days ago and realized the level of difficulty increased when I reached the latter questions. To me, some questions require pretty much time to think. I'm now at Q180 (in 249 PS questions). There wre about 5 questions I figured worth reviewing.

By the way, you guys often quote Q42, V 30. So how many Q questions and how many V questions in total? I saw only 37 Q and 41 V in a standard test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: quant question! [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 05:10
solidcolor wrote:
Sergey_is_cool wrote:

Thanks, good information Sergey.

I started OG 11 PS 2 days ago and realized the level of difficulty increased when I reached the latter questions. To me, some questions require pretty much time to think. I'm now at Q180 (in 249 PS questions). There wre about 5 questions I figured worth reviewing.

By the way, you guys often quote Q42, V 30. So how many Q questions and how many V questions in total? I saw only 37 Q and 41 V in a standard test.

Yeah, you are right there are 37 and 41 questions, but numbers Q42, V30 mean the score on the test. You can get up to 51 GMAT "points" for each section
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: quant question! [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 05:40
Sergey_is_cool wrote:
Yeah, you are right there are 37 and 41 questions, but numbers Q42, V30 mean the score on the test. You can get up to 51 GMAT "points" for each section

Thanks Sergey,

So the max "points" we get for each section is 51.

But how to convert to this "points" unit from 37 and 42?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: quant question! [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 06:42
solidcolor wrote:
Sergey_is_cool wrote:

Thanks Sergey,

So the max "points" we get for each section is 51.

But how to convert to this "points" unit from 37 and 42?

to be honest i don't know all i know that each question is weighted differently (based on difficulty).
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: quant question! [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 09:47
Sergey_is_cool wrote:
to be honest i don't know all i know that each question is weighted differently (based on difficulty).

Yehh Sergey, that's the problem. I keep wondering how could people claim that they got Q40 V35...

So there's no way to estimate our scores at home? :?:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 10:57
well i'd assume that each question is weighted let's say .5, 1 and 1.5 points
if you answer the question correctly then the level of the next question will go up. If not will stay on the same level.
That's my guess
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 10:57
If you use the old paper tests they have tables in the back to use your raw score to give you a V and Q value and another table that uses your raw score to give you an overall.

It seems to work out if you get a 40Q then you need 33+/- 1 or 2 to get a 600...it seems to vary by test.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 22:17
riverripper wrote:
If you use the old paper tests they have tables in the back to use your raw score to give you a V and Q value and another table that uses your raw score to give you an overall.

It seems to work out if you get a 40Q then you need 33+/- 1 or 2 to get a 600...it seems to vary by test.

Thanks riverripper, I've got the detailed info from ARCO's Master the GMAT. My target is now Q56 V44 to get the over all 700... That's for paper based tests.

For CAT-alike, I'd recommend Cliff GMAT (8th Edition) for adjusted series of questions. Full length test is provided at the end of the book.

I haven't checked the softwares yet, to see if they are adjusted series of questions or not...

Sergey, I guess you may want to see the Cliff book.
  [#permalink] 31 May 2007, 22:17