Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about pedigree

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Question about pedigree [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 12:46
Hello,

I have a question about acceptance. I have a undergrad degree in civil engineering, but I decided that I wanted to get my Ph.D. in business. I decided to go back and get my masters in economics before I entered a doctoral program. Both of my degrees come from very large state schools with very good programs. My question is can and do people with degrees from large state schools crack admission to top schools. While researching different schools and looking at the profiles of admitted students, I rarely see students coming from large public universities. I have high gpa's, a high GMAT score, and very good recs but I don't want to apply to programs I have no chance getting into.

Thanks
Zaneta
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Question about pedigree [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 04:29
If you have good recommendations and track records, I think you have a chance. Where you did your undergrad is important to certain extent, so if it is a credible university, I think you should give it a shot. It is better to try and get rejected, than to think that they would reject you and not try.

People from top schools get into top programs, not just because they were from top schools, but because they did well in those top schools. i.e. they are the top of the top (or rather best of the best).

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Question about pedigree [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 05:38
I agree with tkkoh. I have a BBA and MBA from a second tier Canadian research university and 3 years ago received offers from 2 very good schools; those would definitely be considered "top schools" if that term is defined as the top 15-20 schools in my discipline (accounting).

In my entering class, there were people from places like U. of Oklahoma, U. of Cincinnati, and so on. You have to keep in mind that people screening applicants get tons of qualified applications from international students whose schools they've never heard of, so they can't make offers primarily based on _where_ applicants did their coursework. In my mind (and theirs hopefully), _what_ they did is much more important, and if you've done well in civil engineering and economics, having gotten those degrees from a state school definitely won't be a big weakness.
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

Re: Question about pedigree [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 00:42
cabro57 wrote:
I agree with tkkoh. I have a BBA and MBA from a second tier Canadian research university and 3 years ago received offers from 2 very good schools; those would definitely be considered "top schools" if that term is defined as the top 15-20 schools in my discipline (accounting).

In my entering class, there were people from places like U. of Oklahoma, U. of Cincinnati, and so on. You have to keep in mind that people screening applicants get tons of qualified applications from international students whose schools they've never heard of, so they can't make offers primarily based on _where_ applicants did their coursework. In my mind (and theirs hopefully), _what_ they did is much more important, and if you've done well in civil engineering and economics, having gotten those degrees from a state school definitely won't be a big weakness.

University of Oklahoma definitely contains some extremely bright people :)
I went to HS in Oklahoma and many of the smartest people from my class attended OU.
If you plan on doing a grad degree anyways - and know to take advantage of opportunities at OU - its hard to turn down a free ride from OU + extra cash (they let you keep your other scholarships, usually amounting to ~$5,000 a year => $20,000 in your pocket right out of school).
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Question about pedigree [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 04:03
Thanks for the help guys!

Zaneta
Re: Question about pedigree   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2008, 04:03