Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about recommendation letter

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Question about recommendation letter [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 04:23
I have a question regarding getting recommendation letters:

I have following profile: (The chronology is important in my case)

Undergraduate Degree: Mechanical Engineering, India (19991- 95)

Worked as manufacturing engineer for 4 years with a top Indian Engineering corporation(1995-99)

Grdauate degree : MS Management Information Systems (1999-2001)
(GPA = 4.93/5.00)

Worked as Systems analyst in Human Resource Information systems for the last three years in US

GMAT = 750 (M-50, V-41)

Considering this chronology, should I bother to get recommendation letter from my previous employer? (For which I worked as manufacturing engineer) Would the admission committe put enough emphasize on the recommendation letter for my work experience that dates back 5-6 years?

Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 05:46
Just to be clear, are you already getting a letter for the systems analyst position? Would it be possible to receive more than one letter from the analyst position?

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 07:22
Hjort wrote:
Just to be clear, are you already getting a letter for the systems analyst position? Would it be possible to receive more than one letter from the analyst position?

Hjort

Thanks for the response. Well I can get two recommendation letters for my systems analyst position, but I think my prior work experience is very important element of my professional career so far. I intend to write plenty of good things about my prior experience for two reasons

(1) It can show that I have diverse professional experience. I have heard that business schools look at the breath of experience as an important criteria. As I said, my prior experince was in manufactiring industry and I learned many things about project management, operations management and TQM etc., which are important from management perspective. I can also specify many things in that recommendation that cannot be accomodated in my current position of systems analyst.

(2) In my current position, though my job performance has been exceptional and though I am confident to get good recommendations, I do not have any promotion to show. This is because of the organzation structure and because of the lack of any policy on well defined career path in the organization. It is a very large state government organization.

(3) The third reason is even if I go for only one recommendation instead of 2 from my systems analyst position, I think I can get all the information included in one recommendation letter that otherwise two recommendation letters will accomodate. So I do not see much value addition in getting two recommedation from my systems analyst position

These are however, just my opinions. Please advise. What should be the best way to go about recommendation letters in my case. Which option would be more beneficial. Getting one recommendation from each of my employment or getting 2 recommendations from my current position only?

Thank for your insight.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about recommendation letter [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2004, 21:04
Expert's post
gmatblast wrote:
I have a question regarding getting recommendation letters:

I have following profile: (The chronology is important in my case)

Undergraduate Degree: Mechanical Engineering, India (19991- 95)

Worked as manufacturing engineer for 4 years with a top Indian Engineering corporation(1995-99)

Grdauate degree : MS Management Information Systems (1999-2001)
(GPA = 4.93/5.00)

Worked as Systems analyst in Human Resource Information systems for the last three years in US

GMAT = 750 (M-50, V-41)

Considering this chronology, should I bother to get recommendation letter from my previous employer? (For which I worked as manufacturing engineer) Would the admission committe put enough emphasize on the recommendation letter for my work experience that dates back 5-6 years?

Thank you

You're raising a good question. I recommend you obtain recs from your employer of the last three years (The systems analyst position). Try to get recommenders who saw you working in different capacities even if at the same employer.

At the same time, if you really feel that the earlier position shows you in a different light AND that your recommender will remember enough specifics of your time there over five years ago to provide a meaty and substantive rec, then that could change my position. But unless you have really stayed in touch, it would be hard for most bosses to write after so many years with the kind of specificty and detail tha a strong rec requires.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2004, 12:29
Thanks Linda. I appreciate your insight.

I have one more question. Which schools (within top 10 only) do you think are good for Project Management field.

Thank you.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2004, 17:41
Expert's post
gmatblast wrote:
Thanks Linda. I appreciate your insight.

I have one more question. Which schools (within top 10 only) do you think are good for Project Management field.

Thank you.

I would think they are all good for project management. MIT and Michigan are known for operations and manufacturing, but I don't think you can go wrong in the Top 10 for project management.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 13:04
Hi Linda,

One more question. Though I have good overall grades in my undergraduate degree, my performance in some quantitative courses is not up to mark. Should it be of any concern to my application? Especially, considering the fact that I have very good GPA in my master degree and also good quantitative score on GMAT? (Please see my profile in the first message).

Thank you as always for your help.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 18:24
Expert's post
gmatblast wrote:
Hi Linda,

One more question. Though I have good overall grades in my undergraduate degree, my performance in some quantitative courses is not up to mark. Should it be of any concern to my application? Especially, considering the fact that I have very good GPA in my master degree and also good quantitative score on GMAT? (Please see my profile in the first message).

Thank you as always for your help.

Some of my answer depends on how bad the grades were. If they were the equivalent of an American C, I would probably not draw attentiontion to them because it was also long ago and you had good grades in your masters program. However if it was equivalent to a D, then I might change my mind.

Also, were there extenuating circumstances that contributed to the low grades. If yes, then I would also be inclined to explain the dip.

For more information, please see "MBA Admissions: Low GMAT/GPA"

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553