Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about work experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Question about work experience [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 18:31
Hello!

I am in the infant stages of reviewing business schools for an MBA. I have a question about work experience, and exactly what the Adcom considers as work experience?

I am a senior at the University of Cincinnati, and throughout my undergrad career I have also congruently worked full-time for a Fortune 100 company in a supervisory position, with 8-10 associates to be lead on my team, at any given time. I have been in the supervisory position for 3 years (my role is one level under Executive Operations Management).

Is this considered reasonable experience to apply for an MBA (specifically at Duke).

I know the entire application is taken into consideration, but I would be grateful if anyone could shed light on how my work experience would be interpreted by the Adcom.

I'm a bit of a go-getter and would prefer to go straight from undergrad to MBA, but of course, that may not be a reasonable hope.

Any thoughts, opinions, experiences you can share would be very helpful.

Thank you.

PS:

I have a 2.9 GPA, but my final year to definitely break 3.0.
I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but I am devoting much time to study.
I work for Macy's Inc, in the .com center, and lead not only associates here in our center, but also act as a liason/trainer for our partners in the Philippines! Definitely have some interesting problems that have been overcome, a lot of them cultural and geographic. (And some really cool stories, too) I majored in Anthropology so I have a strong foundation to interpret these experiences, and I also am fluent in German and learning Arabic.

Due to an unsafe home life, I had to move out and live on my own before I even graduated high school. That is why I have this work experience, because, well I had no choice but to become 100% independent.

I also did contract work for Procter & Gamble B2B sales for about 5 months, but Macy's made me quit because they said it was a conflict of interest when they found out.

I just feel like I have too much experience for Duke's MMS and too little for their MBA, and at this point I'm really, really itching to move up in my career.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

Re: Question about work experience [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 13:20
Expert's post
Wow!! You have been working full time throughout your undergrad career , out of which 3 years were in the supervisory position !!! Well, I don't see any reason why this would not be considered as work experience by AD Com of any school. I think anyone would be highly impressed by your time management skills as to how you could juggle through full time school with full time job involving supervisory responsibilities. I hope you have been doing well in academics as well.:)
I hope it helped.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about work experience [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 16:54
Admissions will definitely see that you have worked hard to build an impressive professional profile. However, I am a bit concerned about your undergraduate GPA. While business schools do not put as much emphasis on grades as do medical or law schools, graduate business school is still school and admissions is gong to want to see that you have the abilities to handle a difficult and challenging academic program. I would recommend that you focus on improving your grades during your last year of college as well as scoring very high on your GMAT -- as business schools look at your most recent academic grades and scores and weigh them much more heavily (than grades from your freshman year). If you are able to address these matters, I would advise you to apply to Duke. However, if you are not able to achieve the grades and scores admissions will expect, then you might want to consider waiting a few years before applying and addressing your academic deficiencies before submitting an application.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Question about work experience   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2012, 16:54