Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:35

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question on DS help page, Example 6

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Question on DS help page, Example 6 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 06:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
On the DS Course help page, the following link,
(http://www.gmatclub.com/content/courses ... ive/ds.php) example 6 does not make sense to me. It says:

Example 6. Is the sum of six consecutive integers even?

1. The first integer is odd
2. The average of six integers is odd
Watch out for Yes/No data sufficiency questions; they are the hardest and the most misleading.
Example 6: The answer to this one is D. (1) Statement says that the sum of the integers is odd, which gives a NO answer to our question, but is SUFFICIENT to give an answer, therefore sufficient. (2) Says that the sum is odd, which is sufficient to give a Yes answer. In both cases it was sufficient to answer the question, except in the first case, the answer was NO and in the other, it was YES. Make sure you don't confuse No with insufficient because they are not related here.

(1) appears to be sufficient; however, I can't find an example of (2 -The average of six integers is odd) even existing. Thoughts? Also do people know if in general with DS questions if (1) and (2) can both have distinct answers and still be sufficient? Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Question on DS help page, Example 6 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 07:57
Alanjackson wrote:
On the DS Course help page, the following link,
(http://www.gmatclub.com/content/courses ... ive/ds.php) example 6 does not make sense to me. It says:

Watch out for Yes/No data sufficiency questions; they are the hardest and the most misleading.
Example 6: The answer to this one is D. (1) Statement says that the sum of the integers is odd, which gives a NO answer to our question, but is SUFFICIENT to give an answer, therefore sufficient. (2) Says that the sum is odd, which is sufficient to give a Yes answer. In both cases it was sufficient to answer the question, except in the first case, the answer was NO and in the other, it was YES. Make sure you don't confuse No with insufficient because they are not related here.

(1) appears to be sufficient; however, I can't find an example of (2 -The average of six integers is odd) even existing. Thoughts? Also do people know if in general with DS questions if (1) and (2) can both have distinct answers and still be sufficient? Thanks

Let me start this one off.

My answer is A. However,

Just from the question stem, by definition we know that the sum of 6 consecutive integers will always be odd

So I am not sure how to use the 2 statements since the question stem itself tells us the sum will never be Even

St: 1
First integer is Odd. So,

O+E+O+E+O+E --->O+E is always Odd so the sum is Always Odd.

So I guess it is suff.

We can also try pluggin in value -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3 etc.

St.2

Average of 6 consecutive integers is Odd.

We know,

Sum/6 = Odd----> which means Sum = 6*Odd---> Even,

However,

The sum can never be Even. Try plugging in values.

Also the average will never be a integer will be a fraction which when rounded up will be either Odd or Even

For some reason I believe that there is something wrong with the question at least with St.2

B/c we determine from the stem itself that the sum will always be Odd.

So Insuff.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question on DS help page, Example 6 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 08:44
Alanjackson wrote:

Example 6: The answer to this one is D.

(1) Statement says that the sum of the integers is odd, which gives a NO answer to our question, but is SUFFICIENT to give an answer, therefore sufficient.
(2) Says that the sum is odd, which is sufficient to give a Yes answer. In both cases it was sufficient to answer the question, except in the first case, the answer was NO and in the other, it was YES. Make sure you don't confuse No with insufficient because they are not related here.

http://www.gmatclub.com/content/courses ... ive/ds.php

However st 1 and 2, each alone, are sufficient to answer the question but its not a good question. it isn't properly designed.

1. if the first term is odd, the sum of 6 consecutive integers is odd. suff..

2. if the avg. of 6 integers is odd, then the sum of such integers is 6 times that avg. (odd integer). suff...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 11:09
It appears that (2) is not possible; however if it were some how possible, it would be sufficient. Is that what you all are thinking?
Thanks
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 18:48
Alanjackson wrote:
It appears that (2) is not possible; however if it were some how possible, it would be sufficient. Is that what you all are thinking? Thanks

st 2 alone is perfectly ok, nothing wrong, and is possible. . but if we combine 1 and 2 with the information given in the question, 1 and 2 donot go togather.

st 2 means, sum of 6 consecutive integers is 6 times the average (the avg. could be 1 or 3 or 5 or 7 or so on). from 2, the total is even where as from 1 the total is odd.

will put my 2 cents again, if any.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 22:10
The answer is indeed D.

1) O+E+O+E+O+E is always odd, hence the answer no

2) Av = odd
Sum/6 = odd
An even number can only be a factor of an even number hence sum is defientely even
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2006, 07:50
jaynayak wrote:
The answer is indeed D.

1) O+E+O+E+O+E is always odd, hence the answer no

2) Av = odd
Sum/6 = odd
An even number can only be a factor of an even number hence sum is defientely even

But there is never an instance where 6 consecutive integers can be odd - if you plug in numbers?
  [#permalink] 16 Jun 2006, 07:50