Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

quick question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

quick question [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 23:25
hi alex,

sort of an unrelated question but i think u can help since you're originally from Canada.

as a Canadian citizen hoping to work in the US post MBA ( i don't see the point in going all the way down to US if i can't access the job market) how does the whole visa thing work? is there a lot of hesitation when hiring a canadian? How much bias will I face? Is it something I should be worrying about? I heard that the TN visa makes it easier but I'm not sure...

I'd really appreciate it if you could help me out with this..

if it helps the jobs i'm hoping to look at are in management consulting, CPG or the media industry
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: quick question [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 21:14
Depends on the industry.

One of the reasons why so many internationals end up working in consulting firms and investment banks post-MBA in the US is because of the visa issue, since these two industries are the ones that are most willing to sponsor international MBAs without hesitation. Tech firms are also willing to hire internationals, although this is more biased towards technical positions than MBAs, since by law there is a cap limit on the percentage of US-based employees that need work visas (I don't know the percentage offhand, but I believe it's around 20%, and so tech companies are understandably wanting to use most of that cap for technical positions and not MBAs).

The work visa most Canadians with MBAs would get in the US is the H1 just like any other non-US citizen. Canadians are also eligible for the TN visa which is easier to get (you can get it right at the border with an offer letter), but they are meant to be temporary 1 year visas (which you can technically renew forever, although it's a grey area since it's meant to be "temporary"). The road to a green card is typically through the H1 (employment based), although some will get it through marriage (marrying an US citizen) which is a completely separate issue.

For other industries like CPG or media, it really is a case by case basis.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: quick question   [#permalink] 10 May 2011, 21:14