Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Re-applicant next steps?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: semiconductors
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re-applicant next steps? [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 22:46
I am a reapplicant (twice) and submitted 5 applications over the last two app seasons to the very top schools. I only interviewed at Wharton. I was interviewed in the first time application to wharton but dinged without interview the second time.

Is my AWA score of 4.0 a problem?
I am sure a simple retake can again yield a high 700s gmat.

As I am building ECs I find that many volunteer opportunities are during business hours (not evenings/weekends), hard to spare time for when working full time. Any known volunteer houses that offer non business hours activities?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Re-applicant next steps? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 20:35
Hard to say if an AWA score of 4.0 is a problem. I've heard that top schools look at it quite seriously and don't like to see anything below a 5. Very well written essays coupled with a low AWA score are supposed to raise red flags immediately. But this is not officially acknowledged anywhere. I personally do not know anyone in a top school having a score less than 4.5.

Most of my ECs were over weekends since it was impossible to do anything after a 14 hour workday. I'm sure you'll find may volunteer/hobby groups working over weekends in or around your area. Google is your best friend.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 577 [0], given: 114

Re: Re-applicant next steps? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 20:45
you have an uphill battle having already applied twice. You have a lot to prove and if you havn't improved then it will be even harder... read my post here to help you formulate a plan: comprehensive-re-applicant-guide-131675.html

Also, consider shooting at lower schools. A high GMAT is not a guarantee into top schools, in fact it's only the beginning. So maybe your app, essays, rec letters, etc... might just not be up to par... hard to say without seeing your whole app. But there is something in your app that is earning you dings, you need to find it, ALL OF IT, and fix it.

Good luck

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: semiconductors

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Re-applicant next steps? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 23:41
GMATLA wrote:
you have an uphill battle having already applied twice. You have a lot to prove and if you havn't improved then it will be even harder... read my post here to help you formulate a plan: comprehensive-re-applicant-guide-131675.html

Also, consider shooting at lower schools. A high GMAT is not a guarantee into top schools, in fact it's only the beginning. So maybe your app, essays, rec letters, etc... might just not be up to par... hard to say without seeing your whole app. But there is something in your app that is earning you dings, you need to find it, ALL OF IT, and fix it.

Good luck

thanks. I have seen threads where people have commented that AWA score does not matter as they have your essays as writing sample. But would not a low AWA with well written essays give them pause?

How do I know that AWA is not the cause of ding (since my essays were well written)? I'd hate to take gmat again only to do better on awa.
Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.84
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Re-applicant next steps? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 06:31
Reapplicant twice? That might be a bit of an overkill. There's nothing wrong with aiming for a Fuqua, Ross, or Darden. The opportunities at those schools will be almost as abundant as opportunities at HBS and Stanford GSB. By delaying your MBA pursuits over and over again, you're just stagnating your career.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Re: Re-applicant next steps?   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2012, 06:31