Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Regarding work experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Regarding work experience [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 07:25
I have an undergraduate degree in Near Eastern Studies with a minor in Arabic. I moved to the Middle East for three years to become fluent in Arabic. During these years I worked as a full-time high school teacher. I taught economics if that matters, grades 11 and 12 in an international school.... if that matters.

How will adcoms look at this work experience? Does this even count as work experience even though it's in education and not in a bank, for example?

I've asked around and haven't heard much so far.

Thanks
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 114

GMAT Tests User
Re: Regarding work experience [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 09:01
This is definitely work experience. Teaching is not easy, and it is especially interesting how/where you conducted your teaching. I think that you could craft an excellent story!

Adcoms can look at this experience many different ways. They are going to want to see why you did it, and where you want to go in the future, and how an MBA is going to help you. If you can put together a great story, I think your non traditional background might even be an advantage. It all depends on where you want to go in the future, and how well you craft your essays.

But to answer your main questions, YES, teaching would be considered work experience. I also think that since you were teaching economics, this is an important factor b/c economics is directly related to business. This is another way you can show you interest in business even with non traditional work experience.

As a banker myself, I can tell you that Adcoms are not looking to fill there classes with 100% bankers or consultants. The non traditional applicant has their spot in the class too. So make sure that one of those spots is for you!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Regarding work experience [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 09:08
This is extremely encouraging to hear that. Thank you for that. I'll be honest - I came for the Arabic, but became fluent in two years roughly. I stayed for a third year because I was making outstanding money here in the Middle East.

Obviously the money part won't be part of crafting my story, but I will tell you what will. Working for a multinational corporation or specializing in international business has always been a dream of mine. I plan on using my Arabic skills, combined with a prestigious MBA, to enter this domain.

With an undergraduate degree in Near Eastern Studies, it is very difficult to enter a large company, even in their entry-level positions. I believe the MBA will give me the classroom education in business to really make my mark.
Re: Regarding work experience   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2012, 09:08