Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for Profile Evaluation?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Request for Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 06:54
Hello Stacy,

I am planning to send the best application for a full time MBA starting in fall 2013. I would be grateful to receive some insights on my profile and what can i improve on.

Profile:

Nationality: Indian
Education: B.Engg from Top Uni in India (not IITs), Class Rank 3rd (Top 1%). Dual Masters - MS+MBA(minor) from Top Technical Uni in Germany, Class Rank 5th (top 10%). Received Full Scholarship from major German airline worth 35k Euros for Dual Masters
Work Ex: Over 2 years Consultant with Big 4 in India (performance improvement), 1.5 yrs (till today) with top 5 strategy consulting firm in Corporate Strategy Practice, 2 years student consultant with same firm during Double Masters. Voted Best Intern. Only Indian in Germany working for the strategy practice.
Extra-curr: 1. Launched NGO in Germany and manage 40k Euros having secured it from 2 EU Foundations, sponsoring 2 slum schools with 80 children in 2 states of India, manage team of 24 people, Position held is Founder/ President, featured in leading German newspapers. 2. Presided over 50 member student body, launched website in English to provide information to more Indian students to come over to Germany, success was 40% increase in applications. 3. Teach Hindi to 12 Europeans on a regular basis.
Languages: English, German (Business Fluent), Hindi, Bengali
GMAT: Appearing in 2 months. Prep scores 700+. Expecting 750.

I want to break into Venture Capital/ PE, at the worst M&A at a bulge bracket after MBA. Choices are 1. HBS, 2. Wharton, 3. Stanford, 4. MIT, 5. Columbia, 6. Booth.

Given the datapoints below which point should i concentrate on the maximum. I know its early but I want to prepare with everything so as to get through the Top 5 schools.

a. Work Ex
b. Essays and Reco's
c. GMAT
d. Education
e. Extra Curr...

Awaiting a reply and wishing you the best.

Greetings!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Stacy Blackman Representative

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 09:49
Hi Risabh,
All of the aspects of the application that you listed are important, but inevitably, you will be devoting most of your time to your essays from here on out. Because you are Indian, you fall into a very crowded demographic group. I suggest you emphasize your professional and extra-curricular (+ language) experiences in Germany as those will help to set you apart.

Your career path and goals are fairly common, and in order to make them more realistic and believeable, you might consider doing something now to facilitate your transition from strategy to the finance world. If it is at all possible to secure an internship of some sort (even unpaid) I believe that would help boost your story quite a bit.

It sounds like you have accomplished some terrific things and are worthy of a world class MBA program. Now you just need to do the best possible job of telling your story in a compelling way that helps to differentiate you from others in the application pool.

Good luck!
Stacy

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 22:44
Dear Stacy,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Just 1 more question. Given that I write a convincing story, here is what I have to ask.

Which schools would fit best for me from your perspective?
Choices: H/S/W/MIT/Columbia/Booth...(To be safe do you advise me to be apply to some more, given I will be 30 when applying and 31 when entering?

Thank you very much and best wishes to you as well.

Regards
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 15:08
Expert's post
Hi risabh,

In regards to which business school would be the best fit, a large factor will be the industry you want to pursue after graduation. As an example, for the Venture Capital industry, Stanford sends by far the largest number of graduates to that industry (followed by Harvard.) Likewise, Columbia is in NYC, and if you're interested in PE and/or a position on Wall Street, the school's alumni base is strong there.

To answer your question about how many schools to apply to, it depends on how set you are on attending business school at that particular year. Don't apply to schools you know you wouldn't want to attend, but if you are set on attending a program in a particular year, you should apply to a few more schools.

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap