Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

restating the argument: just copy/paste?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

restating the argument: just copy/paste? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 18:10
Within the first paragraph (the introductory paragraph) it's advised to restate the argument. Is a straight copy/paste (or close to, if not adjusted slightly) ideal for this? Essentially, copying the argument verbatim helps eat up the word count and is also the most comprehensive--therefore the most E-rater friendly (right?).

For instance, I've restated the below argument; notice that, except for the first sentence, I didn't paraphrase anything else in the orignal argument, the rest is verbatim. Is this appropriate? How would you do it?

THE ORIGINAL ARGUMENT:
Quote:
“Currently more and more books are becoming available in electronic form—either free-of-charge on the Internet or for a very low price-per-book on compact disc.* Thus literary classics are likely to be read more widely than ever before. People who couldn’t have purchased these works at bookstore prices will now be able to read them for little or no money; similarly, people who find it inconvenient to visit libraries and wait for books to be returned by other patrons will now have access to whatever classic they choose from their home or work computers. This increase in access to literary classics will radically affect the public taste in reading, creating a far more sophisticated and learned reading audience than has ever existed before.”

MY INTRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH (note: i've provided only the restated-argument-portion of the first introductory paragraph, for sake of discussion):
Quote:
The argument claims that cheap and free books are now easily available in electronic form. Thus, literary classics are likely to be read more widely than ever before because people who couldn’t have purchased these works at bookstore prices will now be able to afford them for less money; similarly, people who find it inconvenient to visit libraries and wait for books to be returned by other patrons will now have access to whatever classic they choose from their home or work computers. Hence, this increase in access to literary classics will radically affect the public taste in reading, creating a far more sophisticated and learned reading audience than has ever existed before. ....
Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: restating the argument: just copy/paste? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 23:14
It is fine to devote most of the first paragraph in restating the argument but at the same time, you don't need to copy it verbatim. I don't know if you are penalised for copy pasting, but in both my AWAs what I did was write the same thing down again in a different tone/tense. Maybe combine a couple of sentences, split others into two. At the end of the day, a good way to eat up words

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: restating the argument: just copy/paste?   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2010, 23:14