Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Retake? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 12:09
Hi Folks,

I understand this is a common query.. to do or not to do? Though I do not want to pose the same question many have asked before.. somehow I felt that my situation could be different. Hence, decided to ask anyway..

Here is the deal. I made my decision to go for EMBA pretty late in the game (1/20/2013). After speaking to few of my friends I started registering for info sessions of some selected schools in the San Francisco Bay Area. My first info session was with UC Berkeley on 1/24. At this time, I was just trying to get a feel to questions such as what school? What EMBA means? Schedule? Application Process? Deadlines? GMAT? By the time I could get some grasp on things I was nearing deadlines to two schools. I started working on essays, transcripts, LoR s and also figuring our what GMAT is and who offers what course.. ordered MGMAT guides with self-study package, Magoosh & GMAT Tutor. Long story short, I scheduled my GMAT test date to 2/25 and TOEFL to 2/15 with roughly 3 weeks of preparation time for both (since some days were occupied with school application and essays). I was able to submit my application w/o GMAT to two schools and my GMAT test date was set to meet their deadlines.

I started working on GMAT Tutor while I was waiting for MGMAT guides. When the MGMAT guides arrived I was trying to split my time between MGMAT and GMAT Tutor but that didn't seem to be working as I was not making much progress in covering the subjects. During the last week before the test, I realized that both MGMAT and GMAT Tutor would not help me cover the subject matter at the pace I could handle them. I then switched strategies went for Magoosh Videos to cover the subjects and focused on my weak areas after reviewing my practice test results. In between all these I spent some time answering practice Q's but honestly probably covered less than 10% of available material among OG, MGMAT, Magoosh & GMAT Tutor. I took 5 practice tests and the scores ranged from 470 to 610 with the average being around 540.

I went into the test hoping to score above 600 and mentally preparing myself for another test soon after. Before and during the test I constantly reminded myself that I need to be composed and do justice to what little preparation I had made. Well, I got my best score in the test of 680 (V37, Q46). Certainly happy with the score considering the amount of time I had for preparation (BTW, spent an avg of 8 hours per day by cutting down my work schedule). The question is.. is it worth making another attempt, personally I feel I can do better given more time to practice. Your feedback is appreciated.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 4

Re: Retake? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 12:40
This post received
KUDOS
Probably don't need to take it for EMBA programs. Look specifically at where your score falls in the range of admitted scores. You should be in the upper half, and you are lucky to have escaped the GMAT without a ton of wasted time. Congrats!

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Re: Retake?   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2013, 12:40