Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retake GMAT at 720?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Retake GMAT at 720? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 11:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sex : M
Work Ex: 25months (36+months at Fall 2013 MBA Start) at Deloitte Consulting
Professional Role: Java Developer for first 18 months(involved in functional areas as well), identified as indispensable team member by Manager, Team Lead, Senior Manager, other seniors in terms of commitment, highly analytical skills and most importantly the innate charm(few of the ladies ineptly call me a rockstar) which makes my previous team miss me - be at work, or at professional outings.

Since past 6months, I have been involved in improvising Enterprise Value Delivery for projects, or in simpler terms - improvising processes in a SDLC lifecycle. This involves discussion with a panel of Managers, Senior Managers, at times Directors ;getting inputs(Read getting work done) from managers; heard & recognized for value adds (Read management tips) to seniors - aren't all these best leadership examples because they come out of substance and not by virtue of one's position in the firm.
Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 720 (Q50,V36, AWA/IR-awaited) in a week's prep
UnderGrad: BTech in ECE (GPA 6.43/10) from Factual Rank 7 college in India; admission criteria is getting in less than 1% of set of students double that of total appearing for GMAT in a year.
Target Schools(not necessarily in order) : ISB, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, MIT Sloan

If my application deems fit to be read at these schools, then, most definitely, I have a very compelling story(above one is a very brief synopsis) to tell including my past failures, recent successes and a relentless quest to conceive my crystal clear vision for the next 10 years (including the 2 years at B school).
If not, please advise if I need to re-appear for the GMAT and thereby knock off the time for my R1 application process.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retake GMAT at 720? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 23:13
Expert's post
Do NOT, under any circumstances whatsoever retake your GMAT at this point. Your 720 is above the average for about every single MBA program in the universe. Now, whether you get in or not will depend on your profile and of course your ESSAYS, which you should be working on right about now :)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Retake GMAT at 720? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 23:46
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Do NOT, under any circumstances whatsoever retake your GMAT at this point. Your 720 is above the average for about every single MBA program in the universe. Now, whether you get in or not will depend on your profile and of course your ESSAYS, which you should be working on right about now :)

I had seen Median Gmat score of HBS applicants and it was 730. I think Median score is what you were trying to convey, as it seems to be more accurate statistic in this case than the average.
Yes, I am working on my essays. I am looking forward to apply for R1 but may push it to R2 to add community initiative, which I have decided to take up in the coming months.
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retake GMAT at 720? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 03:47
Expert's post
True that! :) But the point is that your GMAT score is good enough. 20 or even 50 points more will not magically get you accepted. A great application might though. If we were in March or even May, sure retake. What do you have to lose? But now, you want to get in a great application in R1, and retaking the GMAT would not, IMHO be a wise step.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Retake GMAT at 720? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 23:06
JonAdmissionado wrote:
True that! :) But the point is that your GMAT score is good enough. 20 or even 50 points more will not magically get you accepted. A great application might though. If we were in March or even May, sure retake. What do you have to lose? But now, you want to get in a great application in R1, and retaking the GMAT would not, IMHO be a wise step.

There is one more reason, why I should retake GMAT, as suggested by one of consultants.
He mentioned that it would help improve my chances of getting a scholarship but from what i have read at schools' sites & forums scholarship depends only on candidate's financial position and not on academic performance. So, I don't think better GMAT scores translate into higher chances of scholarship among the other admits. Please comment if it is not the case, and scholarships provided by other institutions, apart from the school admitted to, also depend on GMAT score.
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retake GMAT at 720? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 03:20
Expert's post
It depends on the school and the scholarship. There are essentially three types of scholarships out there 1. Merit based 2. Need-based 3. a mix of merit and need based.

So if the scholarship is merit-based, then yes, the GMAT could affect it. But again, everything is relative. If we are talking about merit-based scholarships, then the scholarships are a tool the school uses to make their admission more enticing, in the hopes that you will choose them (meaning you have a very exciting profile and they want you!) And yes, the GMAT affects this, but it's not the only factor.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com