Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 14:25
Hey all,
Sorry if this has been covered already. I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

I'm wondering if it's bad to retake the GMAT many times. Do MBA programs see your historical set a scores? If I remember correctly, for the SATs, it was ill-advised to take the SAT2s many times, because college admissions could see all your scores, but they couldn't for your SATs.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 14:34
dtang4 wrote:
Hey all,
Sorry if this has been covered already. I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

I'm wondering if it's bad to retake the GMAT many times. Do MBA programs see your historical set a scores? If I remember correctly, for the SATs, it was ill-advised to take the SAT2s many times, because college admissions could see all your scores, but they couldn't for your SATs.

Thanks.

It's not set in stone or anything but I think the rule of thumb is it'll start to hurt you if you take the GMAT more than 3-4 times. Schools will see all attempts you choose to accept and will generally take your highest score but some do average all your attempts.

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 14:55
I think I saw it in the Manhattan GMAT blog, but they actually approached Harvard, Standford and Wharton and asked them how many GMAT repeats was too many. If I remember correctly, all of them said you could take it up to four times and it would have no impact on your application.

I'll see if I can find the article.

NN

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 15:03
Thanks for the quick responses!

Do you know which schools take the avg of GMAT scores? Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 18:32
The general consensus is THREE max. However, why would you want to put yourself through taking the gmat 3 times? Do it right the first time.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 19:29
I have not heard of any major schools averaging scores.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 05:30
marymayi wrote:
I have not heard of any major schools averaging scores.

Anderson "considers" all scores if taken more than twice. Not an average, but close enough.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 08:33
I don't think averages are used although the schools have all your scores. I just can't see them using averages for all the applicants.
Manager
Manager

Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 10:01
There is no said limit. As long as you feel that you can do better, you should take it. At some point, you will need to shift your priority to other parts of your application. The GMAT is only a piece of your over app. I would suggest taking no more than 3 times. But, if you truely feel that you can do better...more than 30-50pts...then do it.

Last edited by mlchang616 on 13 May 2008, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
In the end, a human being looks at the application and looks at your scores, whether single or multiple. Think about the human reaction.

Ask yourself. All else being equal or similar, would you prefer a person who took the test once and got 740, or someone who got 540, 660, and then finally 740?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 10:38
Tarmac wrote:
In the end, a human being looks at the application and looks at your scores, whether single or multiple. Think about the human reaction.

Ask yourself. All else being equal or similar, would you prefer a person who took the test once and got 740, or someone who got 540, 660, and then finally 740?

+1

With all this said. Try the best that you can in your first attempt. You really don't want the test lingering over you, over and over. Studying it a second time around will feel like a 2nd marriage and studying a 3rd time, like a third marriage.

Better to do it right the first time, and if your nerves get the best of you, you still have another shot.
Intern
Intern

Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 20:23
Thanks all for the great advice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 03:45
mlchang616 wrote:
There is no said limit. As long as you feel that you can do better, you should take it. At some point, you will need to shift your priority to other parts of your application. The GMAT is only a piece of your over app. I would suggest taking no more than 3 times. But, if you truely feel that you can do better...more than 30-50pts...then do it.

Well its how you look at it. Having failed test few times but not giving up can also tell you something about the person and I dont believe that necessarily a negative impression!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 04:16
mbawaters wrote:
mlchang616 wrote:

Well its how you look at it. Having failed test few times but not giving up can also tell you something about the person and I dont believe that necessarily a negative impression!

I've always felt that that's a positive spin to a negative result. If someone is capable of scoring 700+, why does he endure a string of 500 scores to get to the 700 mark? Is it perseverance or poor planning?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 06:24
kidderek wrote:
mbawaters wrote:
mlchang616 wrote:

I've always felt that that's a positive spin to a negative result. If someone is capable of scoring 700+, why does he endure a string of 500 scores to get to the 700 mark? Is it perseverance or poor planning?

Well may be the guy did not belong to the same league earlier but now he does and as humans we are expected to make mistakes every now and then but to me, atleast, its getting back up after being knocked out matters more and it tells me something about the character! IMHO, what you saying is not wrong but its just one way to look at things.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 07:54
3x is typically the most. Although schools say they won't hold it against you, they may subconciously.
Manager
Manager

Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 08:50
Now, what do you think an adcom would think subconciously if you took the GMAT a second or third time and your score was lower than your previous exam?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 09:49
Lets go with the rule, rather than the exception.

All things being equal arguments:(this means you shouldn't refute this by positing a situation where things are not equal)

All things being equal, a 740 first try beats a 740 in three tries.

All things being equal, a 650 in three tries beats a 550 in one try.

Rule: It is better to get the high score in less tries.

After all, if they cost the same, do you buy the refurb laptop or the brand new one? :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 10:09
hmmm...if you got a lower score?

I would probably think that the guy was happy with his first score and didn't try really hard on the second test and probably choked the third. If it was off by like 100 though, I'd question the reason for the difference in results.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 10:20
westsider wrote:
Lets go with the rule, rather than the exception.

All things being equal arguments:(this means you shouldn't refute this by positing a situation where things are not equal)

All things being equal, a 740 first try beats a 740 in three tries.

All things being equal, a 650 in three tries beats a 550 in one try.

Rule: It is better to get the high score in less tries.

After all, if they cost the same, do you buy the refurb laptop or the brand new one? :-D

I've often thought that as well. but where do you stop?
Example:
For the sake of possibilities, I'll keep the comparison to 1 time vs. unknown lower previous scores:

1 time 700 vs. 2 time 710
1 time 700 vs. 2 time 720
1 time 700 vs. 3 time 710
1 time 700 vs. 3 time 720
1 time 700 vs. 2 time 730
1 time 700 vs. 3 time 730

how about 1 time 700 vs 3 time 750?

I just think a score a third time around is heavily diluted. I have more compassion for the 2 time scores.

Of course this is all for our personal egos; adcoms just want you to clear the hurdle.

Last edited by kidderek on 09 Aug 2010, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- is it bad?   [#permalink] 14 May 2008, 10:20