Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 13:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking the GMAT/Study Plan Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Retaking the GMAT/Study Plan Help [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 08:41
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice/help on a GMAT Study Plan for someone who is retaking the test.

To provide you with some background, I studied for several months earlier this year, using the MGMAT books and their self-prep online course. I took the exam in June, scoring a 650 (45 Quant, 37 Verbal). My last two practice tests were the official GMAT tests and I scored a 680 and a 720. I was hoping to get a 700, but a personal life crisis 10 days before the exam railroaded my preparation and I barely studied at all in those final 10 days.

It is also worth pointing out that I finished each section of the exam with 12-15 minutes left.

I haven't picked up a book or done any studying since the exam, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to start up again. I definitely feel a 700-720 is within the range of possibility for me. I've thought about getting a private tutor, but I don't know how helpful they are. I'm looking for any advice/help people can offer. There is so much information on this website I don't even know where to begin.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 128 [1] , given: 80

Re: Retaking the GMAT/Study Plan Help [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 16:14
This post received
KUDOS
It sounds like you're not too far off from a 700+ score. A 45Q/37V is pretty solid, especially considering that you didn't use all of your time, you were under a ton of personal stress, and you didn't study for the last 10 days before your test. So basically, you got a 650 with two hands tied behind your back. That's pretty impressive!

Since June was a long time ago, you might want to start by spending a little bit of time with the MGMAT books again, just shaking off some of the rust. Then, focus most of your energy on official GMAT questions--do as much as you possibly can from the GMAT Official Guide, the official GMAT quant and verbal review guides, and the GMATPrep Question Pack. It wouldn't hurt to redo the GMATPrep tests once you're close to your actual exam, and MGMAT quant tests might be a really good way to work on your timing.

As you practice, really concentrate on avoiding careless errors--I'm just guessing here, but if you had tons of time left at the end, you probably weren't being as careful as you could be. Take the time to read everything an extra time to make sure that you're not missing a word or a modifier or a restriction, and take a few extra seconds to re-check any calculations that you do on the quant section. I suspect that your reading speed is naturally really fast, so use the extra time to make sure that you don't miss easy questions--the GMAT algorithm punishes you disproportionately for making errors on relatively easy questions.

I see plenty of good signs in your past results, and it doesn't sound like you're necessarily the sort of person who really needs private tutoring. A tutor might help you use your study time more efficiently, but I have a feeling that you'll be able to get to a 700+ with some consistent practice and improved time management on the exam.

Good luck with everything, and please let us all know how you do once you take the test again!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Retaking the GMAT/Study Plan Help [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 10:46
Thanks that was really helpful. I failed to mention in my last post that I pretty much went through all the questions in the official GMAT books and the Test Prep question pack. Since it's been so long since I've looked at those questions and personally I don't feel like I remember them, is there any harm or wasted effort in going back over them?

Thanks again for the advice.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 41

Re: Retaking the GMAT/Study Plan Help [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 22:10
Hi,

If you have not used all your Mgmat tests, take one now ! It gives a section / topic wise breakdown of your strong and weak areas. And then you can brush up the concepts of your weak areas from Mgmat books.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 80

Re: Retaking the GMAT/Study Plan Help [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 07:32
Jysail15, I think there's still value in going back over the questions you already did, especially on the quant side. You definitely want to mix in some completely new quant questions from other sources (GMAT Club, GMAT Hacks, MGMAT, or wherever), but you'll still get a lot of mileage out of the official questions, even if they're redos. You'll just have to hold yourself to a higher standard of accuracy on the familiar questions. :)

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: Retaking the GMAT/Study Plan Help   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2012, 07:32