Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

romans

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 474
Location: united states
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
romans [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 20:53
The ancient Romans piped hot water through the walls and under the floors so as to warm up the rooms.

A. so as to warm up the rooms
B. and so would be able to warm up the rooms
C. to warm the rooms up
D. so that they could warm up the rooms
E. in order that they would warm up the rooms

Guys, this question has been discussed in the past. I have a very specific query regarding this question. where exactly do we use "so as to"?
_________________

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: romans [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 11:13
shoonya wrote:
The ancient Romans piped hot water through the walls and under the floors so as to warm up the rooms.

A. so as to warm up the rooms
B. and so would be able to warm up the rooms
C. to warm the rooms up
D. so that they could warm up the rooms
E. in order that they would warm up the rooms

Guys, this question has been discussed in the past. I have a very specific query regarding this question. where exactly do we use "so as to"?


easy!

so as to is ALWAYS wrong.

the correct usage is so X as to Y
Danny is so ugly as to scare off the pretty girls.
This idiom focuses on the extremeness of something. In my sentence, the extremeness of Danny's ugliness.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: romans [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 11:29
bmwhype2 wrote:
shoonya wrote:
The ancient Romans piped hot water through the walls and under the floors so as to warm up the rooms.

A. so as to warm up the rooms
B. and so would be able to warm up the rooms
C. to warm the rooms up
D. so that they could warm up the rooms
E. in order that they would warm up the rooms

Guys, this question has been discussed in the past. I have a very specific query regarding this question. where exactly do we use "so as to"?


easy!

so as to is ALWAYS wrong.

the correct usage is so X as to Y
Danny is so ugly as to scare off the pretty girls.
This idiom focuses on the extremeness of something. In my sentence, the extremeness of Danny's ugliness.


Good explanation BMW.

A. so as to warm up the rooms
B. and so would be able to warm up the rooms
>>wordy
C. to warm the rooms up
>>>sounds awkward
D. so that they could warm up the rooms
E. in order that they would warm up the rooms
>>wordy


My pick is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 385
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 11:30
C is concise and idiomatic
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 374
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: romans [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 11:35
bmwhype2 wrote:
shoonya wrote:
The ancient Romans piped hot water through the walls and under the floors so as to warm up the rooms.

A. so as to warm up the rooms
B. and so would be able to warm up the rooms
C. to warm the rooms up
D. so that they could warm up the rooms
E. in order that they would warm up the rooms

Guys, this question has been discussed in the past. I have a very specific query regarding this question. where exactly do we use "so as to"?


easy!

so as to is ALWAYS wrong.

the correct usage is so X as to Y
Danny is so ugly as to scare off the pretty girls.
This idiom focuses on the extremeness of something. In my sentence, the extremeness of Danny's ugliness.


agreed.
D is the answer.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: romans [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 12:30
bmwhype2 wrote:


Danny is so ugly as to scare off the pretty girls.


Good example :) ...and great explanation!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 177
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2007, 03:55
What is the OA?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 23:53
abhinava wrote:
What is the OA?


OA is D.

A so as to wrong.
B. wordy compared to D.
C. "warm up" is the term
D. correct
E. in order to wrong.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 00:02
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: romans [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 03:01
bmwhype2 wrote:
shoonya wrote:
The ancient Romans piped hot water through the walls and under the floors so as to warm up the rooms.

A. so as to warm up the rooms
B. and so would be able to warm up the rooms
C. to warm the rooms up
D. so that they could warm up the rooms
E. in order that they would warm up the rooms

Guys, this question has been discussed in the past. I have a very specific query regarding this question. where exactly do we use "so as to"?



easy!

so as to is ALWAYS wrong.

the correct usage is so X as to Y
Danny is so ugly as to scare off the pretty girls.
This idiom focuses on the extremeness of something. In my sentence, the extremeness of Danny's ugliness.



While I agree that in Gmatland the only permitted use of so as to is so ADJ as to (as cited by BMW).

However, the below is excerpted from Dictionary.com

so as, a. with the result or purpose: to turn up the volume of the radio so as to drown out the noise from the next apartment.
b. Older Use. provided that: I like any flower, just so as it's real.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 73
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 10:10
dahcrap wrote:
C is concise and idiomatic


yes choice C is not that bad but you should not split up infinitives on GMAT, that's why "warm up" has to stay together
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 10:31
bmwhype2 wrote:
abhinava wrote:
What is the OA?


OA is D.

A so as to wrong.
B. wordy compared to D.
C. "warm up" is the term
D. correct
E. in order to wrong.


I picked C
How can OA=D???
D use "they" and it can refers to "walls" or "Romans" or "floors". Clearly "they" in D had no direct reference.
For this reason, I completely disagree with OA=D.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 1593
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 13:50
bkk145 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
abhinava wrote:
What is the OA?


OA is D.

A so as to wrong.
B. wordy compared to D.
C. "warm up" is the term
D. correct
E. in order to wrong.


I picked C
How can OA=D???
D use "they" and it can refers to "walls" or "Romans" or "floors". Clearly "they" in D had no direct reference.
For this reason, I completely disagree with OA=D.


same here ... thats why I didnt pick D, because i thought it referred to floors
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 14:07
pmenon wrote:
bkk145 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
abhinava wrote:
What is the OA?


OA is D.

A so as to wrong.
B. wordy compared to D.
C. "warm up" is the term
D. correct
E. in order to wrong.


I picked C
How can OA=D???
D use "they" and it can refers to "walls" or "Romans" or "floors". Clearly "they" in D had no direct reference.
For this reason, I completely disagree with OA=D.


same here ... thats why I didnt pick D, because i thought it referred to floors


THAT must touch the noun it refers to. The only exception is prepositional phrases that act as middlemen.

This is the box that fell off the table.
This is the book (on top of the bookcase) that tumbled down.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 22:17
Same here, I picked C. how is they appropriate?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: romans [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 13:42
People, what does "they" in choice (D) refer to? Romans..walls...floors? It's so damn ambiguous. I can't believe that's the answer.
Re: romans   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2008, 13:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Roman carvings feruz77 2 16 Oct 2010, 23:31
2 Romans....singular or plural lionheart187 2 13 Jun 2008, 14:28
Hard Roman numeral PS gpmagnus 3 01 Mar 2006, 10:50
PS roman numerical question mandy 8 05 Jun 2005, 08:56
Roman numeral stratgey saurya_s 3 13 Jan 2005, 08:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

romans

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.