Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross ($$$) vs. Haas ($$)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Ross vs. Haas

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Ross ($$$) vs. Haas ($$) [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 10:53
OK, this is a good problem to have but I'm still really torn. And since I got such awesome advice from you all about the application process back in the fall, I'd love to get your feedback one more time!

Here's the deal:

1) Admitted to Ross with a full scholarship and Haas with a half
2) Have visited both schools and like each equally for many of the same reasons - friendly students, laid-back cultures, and great campuses
3) Want to break into the tech sector and, all thing being equal, would prefer a smaller school, so that favors Haas
4) However, I've been told that Ross has pretty strong West Coast connections (since folks want to get out of Michigan) and feels pretty intimate due to the culture - plus, coming from the nonprofit sector, an extra $50K is not chump change

Bottom Line: Are the above Haas advantages worth $50K?

Thanks so much for any wisdom you can offer!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross ($$$) vs. Haas ($$) [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 19:02
If you want tech, go with Haas. Not to say Ross would not be a great option. However, if you want to work in tech that points to being in Cali and the connection with Berkeley is going to be 100x more powerful in tech in the bay area than UMich. I am sure you would find a job you will love coming out of Ross...however, the breadth of options will be far more at Haas. Ross will get some of big players but the opportunties for start ups and small to mid caps wont be the same.

If you feel the fit is better too, that is one more reason why it would make more sense. 50k seems like a huge number but in the grand scheme of post MBA life it wont make or break you, especially if you are entering the tech field which is not going to be a low paying area.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Ross ($$$) vs. Haas ($$) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 18:30
I think the answer really depends on the jobs you're targeting in tech. If you're looking to land a job at Amazon, Microsoft, etc., you should have no reservations about attending Ross. As riverripper mentioned, Haas will give you access to significantly more opportunities with smaller companies in tech.

Haas will be much more immersive for tech (>play conference, etc.), so you're getting some value for that added tuition and cost of living, but only you can decide what that experience is worth to you. In your situation, I'd choose the full-ride at Ross for every career path other than landing a job at a small tech company, such as a venture-backed internet start-up.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross ($$$) vs. Haas ($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 09:55
If you're pretty sure about wanting to work in tech, go to Haas. The location matters a lot in this case, since the epicenter of so many of the tech jobs will be in the Bay Area, just like NYC to finance, Texas for oil/gas, LA for entertainment, etc.

Also, it does help being plugged in locally to what is going on - stuff that is much harder to get access to if you're not local. There's a difference between "news sources" you get at a distance and what you actually hear through the grapevine (or what I call the value of informal gossip). It's not just about which startup got funded (official news), but the personal relationships and what is really going on that won't make it to print (which comes through the grapevine/gossip/rumor mill). You're more likely to absorb all this on much deeper level in 2 years living in the epicenter of the industry rather than a few thousand miles away from it.

It's like finance and NY. You can certainly keep updated on all the PE funds, which banks are hiring, which MD is leaving to start his/her own shop, etc. But it's another thing to be living in the city 24/7, meeting people in passing whether they are classmates or friends of friends or whatever who work in the industry, and absorbing what they know and talk about on a daily basis (even if each piece of info may seem trivial on its own) - which will give you a much richer understanding cumulatively of what really goes on beyond just the news headlines that someone in say Florida may be reading on the WSJ.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Ross ($$$) vs. Haas ($$)   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2011, 09:55