Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rutgers Fall 2008

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Rutgers Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 10:10
Hi,

I have been a member of GMAT club for a long time. This site has proved to be a useful resource in my GMAT prep. I took the GMAT 2 days back. Scored 650 (Q- 43, V- 36). I am female, 26, an exbanker from India with an experience of 4 1/2 years in retail banking from premier private sector bank. I am a graduate in commerce from an Indian Univ. My academic record has been very average thru out school and college. But I have done very well professionally and am in a position to obtain strong professional recommendations. I am currently in the US on an H4 (dependant visa). I am currently pursuing a Diploma in Banking from American bankers Asso. I am looking to pursue MBA in Finance from Rutgers; newark or camden.

1. Is my case strong enuf?
2. Is there anything I can do to strengthen my appl as far as academics go?
3. I have never studied advanced stats and calculus. Should I take a prep course for the same at the univ before applying?
4. Are there any other colleges in NYC which are at par with RBS? If yes, name them.
5. I have a 3 year bachelors degree. I am in the process of getting the transcripts evaluated by an agency in NYC. Rutgers accepts 3 year bachelor's degree based on the evaluation. Will this affect my chances?

Thanx.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 08:21
Can You plz give me your comments on my profile?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rutgers Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 20:55
Expert's post
POOJA_440V wrote:
Hi,

I have been a member of GMAT club for a long time. This site has proved to be a useful resource in my GMAT prep. I took the GMAT 2 days back. Scored 650 (Q- 43, V- 36). I am female, 26, an exbanker from India with an experience of 4 1/2 years in retail banking from premier private sector bank. I am a graduate in commerce from an Indian Univ. My academic record has been very average thru out school and college. But I have done very well professionally and am in a position to obtain strong professional recommendations. I am currently in the US on an H4 (dependant visa). I am currently pursuing a Diploma in Banking from American bankers Asso. I am looking to pursue MBA in Finance from Rutgers; newark or camden.

1. Is my case strong enuf?
2. Is there anything I can do to strengthen my appl as far as academics go?
3. I have never studied advanced stats and calculus. Should I take a prep course for the same at the univ before applying?
4. Are there any other colleges in NYC which are at par with RBS? If yes, name them.
5. I have a 3 year bachelors degree. I am in the process of getting the transcripts evaluated by an agency in NYC. Rutgers accepts 3 year bachelor's degree based on the evaluation. Will this affect my chances?

Thanx.

POOJA_440V,

1. You should have no trouble getting into Rutgers. Their average GMAT is 640.
2. & 3. You didn'y mention your GPA so I don't know how much help it needs. Aside from retaking the GMAT (one way of compensating), taking the stats and calculus courses you mentioned would probably be a good idea. Those are core pre-MBA classes that many B-schools like to see on your transcript.
4. The only other NYC schools I'm familiar with are either substantially more selective than Rutgers (Columbia and NYU) or substantially less so (like Baruch, Hofstra, Fordham). Up in Rochester the Simon School has an outstanding finance program and you might have a chance there, and Rensselaer Polytechnic in Troy is a decent school.
5. No, it sounds like you'll be fine.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 04:50
Thanx for the reply.

I dont know how to score my bachelor % in GPA system. But I scored 65% (1st class).

Also, I have not been working for last six months. Coz I am not authorised to do so in the US. I have been preparing for my GMAT and taking some Dance classes (Dance is my Hobby and I am trained in Indian classical dance). Is this enuf to show how I spent the last six months fruitfully?

I just got my employment authorisation 2 days back. I will easily get a teller level or associate level job here in the US.(Considering the fact that I have no prior experience in US). I was working as operations manager and had a team of 8 people in India. Will it adversely affect my resume If I take a junior level job in the US?

I understand that this is a free forum, But ur response to the above queries will be appreciated.

Thanx again.

Pooja
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2007, 20:35
Expert's post
POOJA_440V wrote:
Thanx for the reply.

I dont know how to score my bachelor % in GPA system. But I scored 65% (1st class).

Also, I have not been working for last six months. Coz I am not authorised to do so in the US. I have been preparing for my GMAT and taking some Dance classes (Dance is my Hobby and I am trained in Indian classical dance). Is this enuf to show how I spent the last six months fruitfully?

I just got my employment authorisation 2 days back. I will easily get a teller level or associate level job here in the US.(Considering the fact that I have no prior experience in US). I was working as operations manager and had a team of 8 people in India. Will it adversely affect my resume If I take a junior level job in the US?

I understand that this is a free forum, But ur response to the above queries will be appreciated.

Thanx again.

Pooja

Pooja,

Your schools should be able to translate your grades into U.S. equivalents. I don't think preparing for GMAT and dance classes is enough. Also good would be some leadership-related community activities and/or substantive coursework related to your goals.

Schools will understand that you can't continue your career here at the same level as in India, but you'll want to emphasize your India work experience in your essays.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog