Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [66]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [41]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [14]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [3]
Send PM
Re: Although all the proceedings of the Communist party conference held in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
lexis wrote:
Although all the proceedings of the Communist party conference held in Moscow were not carried live, Soviet audiences have seen a great deal of coverage.

(A) all the proceedings of the Communist party conference held in Moscow were not carried live
(B) all the Communist party conference’s Moscow proceedings were not carried live
(C) all the Communist party conference Moscow proceedings have not been carried alive
(D) not all the Communist party conference Moscow proceedings have been carried alive
(E) not all the proceedings of the Communist party conference held in Moscow were carried live

I do not satisfy with OA. One answer is quite good but it seems to change the meaning of original sentence.

Good one
lets eliminate (C) and (D) first since alive is not correct
(B) is eliminated since this changes the meaning stating any communist party moscow proceeding is not carried live .Actual meaning is that all the proceedings of conference held in moscow are not carried live .

Left with (A) and (E)
(A) all the proceedings of the Communist party conference held in Moscow were not carried live
(E) not all the proceedings of the Communist party conference held in Moscow were carried live
I go for (E) here since we need to ensure that although X,Y happens that means Y contradicts or X stops Y from happening.

In A he does not stress on the fact that all the proceedings were not carried live.and the second statement stating people have seen a great deal of coverage is not strongly opposed .
In (E) he says not all the proceedings were live means he stresses on the fact that not all of them were live.This is better.
IMO (E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Although all the proceedings of the Communist party conference held in [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO A B C changes the intended meaning.

when all the meetings are not carried live,Soviet audiences cannot see a great deal of coverage.

Although not all the proceedings of the Communist party conference held in Moscow were carried live, soviet .. makes sense

E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Although all the proceedings of the Communist party conference held in [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Please correct me i am wrong ...whenever you have a sentence beginning with 'although'..the first part of the sentence should be negative ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Kudos
ajit257,

Looks like your question might have gone unanswered here. You asked:

Quote:
Please correct me i am wrong ...whenever you have a sentence beginning with 'although'..the first part of the sentence should be negative ?

The answer here is no. The first part could be negative and the second could be positive:

"Although I've never been to Norway, I hear it's beautiful."

Or the first part could be positive and the second could be negative:

"Although he is my best friend, sometimes I disagree with his decision."

Or they could both be positive but still in contrast:

"Although I've been told Hawaii is great, I've decided to go to Mexico."

The essence of "although" is simply that you are setting up a contrast between what comes before the comma and what comes after the comma. You're preparing the reader to understand that even though something is the case, something else is also the case.

That help?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
IMO:

Chico D herein has at least three reasons for being rejected. The first is the clumsiness of the usage “all the Communist party conference Moscow proceedings”. There are at least four adjectives that modify the proceedings- 1. All the proceedings 2. Communist party proceeding 3. Conference proceedings and 4. Moscow proceedings

Compare it to the elegant statement in E to describe the same.

Secondly relating to what mundasingh123 points out. - The difference between the use of have been carried alive and were carried alive, let us discuss the definition of the present perfect. A present perfect is used for some action that started in the past but more importantly and necessarily that has not ended as of now and is continuing still. This ‘continuance’ is integral to the use of present perfect; as per this maxim, are the proceedings still being carried live?. Carrying it “live” now when the proceedings have ended long ago is illogical. So the use of have been is inappropriate.
Please also note the difference between carried live and carried alive. Carried live means broadcasting when the program is actually happening. Carried alive may mean broadcasting with life or carrying something physically when it is living e.g. The badly wounded soldier was carried alive to the hospital
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
daagh wrote:
IMO:

Chico D herein has at least three reasons for being rejected. The first is the clumsiness of the usage “all the Communist party conference Moscow proceedings”. There are at least four adjectives that modify the proceedings- 1. All the proceedings 2. Communist party proceeding 3. Conference proceedings and 4. Moscow proceedings

Compare it to the elegant statement in E to describe the same.

Secondly relating to what mundasingh123 points out. - The difference between the use of have been carried alive and were carried alive, let us discuss the definition of the present perfect. A present perfect is used for some action that started in the past but more importantly and necessarily that has not ended as of now and is continuing still. This ‘continuance’ is integral to the use of present perfect; as per this maxim, are the proceedings still being carried live?. Carrying it “live” now when the proceedings have ended long ago is illogical. So the use of have been is inappropriate.

Daagh,
1)Are all the adjectives used to refer to the meetings correct .Do we depend on conciseness to zero in onto the right answer .
2) I found an example in the an SC Strategy guide where the past perfect is used to describe an event that took place at an unknown time in the past .
The simple past was used when the time when the event occurred was known.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I am not meaning to take my rhetoric to the extreme I only pointed out to the clumsiness of that description that could help us to be decisive about its rejection. After all isn’t that the description using make-shift nouns acting as adjectives in the given context? But clumsiness is subjective and it is ok, if you can take it.

But coming to your concept of the past perfect, I have no issues regarding the occurrence of the time of the event. After all it has to be in the past, otherwise, why will we call it a past or past perfect. But my point is about the ending; if it has not ended, it loses its validity of pastness.

I am sure that the SC guide you are referring to must have given you some reasons for saying so. But explicitness of the time line may not be an ideal way of demarcating past from past perfect in my opinion. See this example below

‘No one knows when exactly the first virus evolved on this earth.’

Here we do not know when exactly the event happened but we still use the simple past. Can we use a past perfect here? Nope, because there is no mention of a comparable event in the sentence that ended later than the said event.

Hope I am right?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
A. all the proceedings of the Communist party conference held in Moscow were not carried live-- This means that none of the proceedings i.e not even one percent was carried live; but the intent is to say that some at least were carried live.

(E) not all the proceedings of the Communist party conference held in Moscow were carried live --- means not 100% but less than that; certainly not nil

Hence E is the choice
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Expert Reply
The OA on this is E.

From a meaning standpoint, you need to say that not all the proceedings were carried live (therefore some were live) instead of saying that all were not carried live (meaning none were carried live).

KW
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
this is a question that tests you on meaning.

Let me explain this question with an analogy.

Prime numbers are - 3,5,7, ...

Can i say this then ? All prime numbers are not even. Wait a minute! You ignored the number 2.
Prime numbers are - 2,3,5,7, ....
Can I say this now - All prime numbers are not even (This is the same as saying none of the prime numbers are even). NO. At least one prime number is not even.

A, B, and C all incorrectly imply that None of the events were carried live.

In C and D - " Communist party conference Moscow" is a horribly long and awkward adjective describing proceedings.

Note that usage of 'alive' in options C and D is incorrect.

E is the correct answer. It suggests that some of the events were carried live.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts