Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC Rule 3/2

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2008
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 53 [5] , given: 0

SC Rule 3/2 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 11:54
5
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hi, can anyone tell me what is the SC rule 3/2?

Thanks
6 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2501
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 505 [6] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Rule 3/2 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 12:30
6
This post received
KUDOS
ast wrote:
Hi, can anyone tell me what is the SC rule 3/2?

Thanks


3-2 rule in SC is a way to eliminate obvious wrong answers for a given question. In most of the cases 2 or 3 answer choices are obvious wrong and rest are not. If that is the case, we can outright eliminate the wrong answer choises and focus on rest not so obvious wrong answer choices. Again wrong answer choices can be 2 or 3. for ex lets see the following question:

In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle other stars.

A. most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle
B. most of them as large or larger than Jupiter and circling
C. most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling
D. mostly at least as large as Jupiter, which circle
E. mostly as large or larger than Jupiter, circling

In this example, 3 AC have "most of them" and 2 have "mostly". Considering "most of them" and "mostly", we can eliminate the ACs with "mostly" because "most of them" is better than "mostly". so now we can eliminate 2 ACs, D and E. Now lets focus on A, B, and C. A is wrong because it lacks the correct idiom, which should be "as large as" or larger than". Same with B too. So C should be correct.

Alternatively, we can divide the 5 AC into 2 3 and 2 as per the idiom. if so, the incorrect 3 ACs are A, B and E. If so, we are left with 2 ACs C and D. Between C and D, C is better because the sentence is not talking about the circling of Jupitor rather its about circling of 80 massive planets. so C wins.

So we can use thbis method in any way we feel better. I am sure others have better views.

hope that helps.
_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1048
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Rule 3/2 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 20:17
GMAT TIGER wrote:

3-2 rule in SC is a way to eliminate obvious wrong answers for a given question. In most of the cases 2 or 3 answer choices are obvious wrong and rest are not. If that is the case, we can outright eliminate the wrong answer choises and focus on rest not so obvious wrong answer choices. Again wrong answer choices can be 2 or 3. for ex lets see the following question:

In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle other stars.

A. most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle
B. most of them as large or larger than Jupiter and circling
C. most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling
D. mostly at least as large as Jupiter, which circle
E. mostly as large or larger than Jupiter, circling

In this example, 3 AC have "most of them" and 2 have "mostly". Considering "most of them" and "mostly", we can eliminate the ACs with "mostly" because "most of them" is better than "mostly". so now we can eliminate 2 ACs, D and E. Now lets focus on A, B, and C. A is wrong because it lacks the correct idiom, which should be "as large as" or larger than". Same with B too. So C should be correct.

Alternatively, we can divide the 5 AC into 2 3 and 2 as per the idiom. if so, the incorrect 3 ACs are A, B and E. If so, we are left with 2 ACs C and D. Between C and D, C is better because the sentence is not talking about the circling of Jupitor rather its about circling of 80 massive planets. so C wins.

So we can use thbis method in any way we feel better. I am sure others have better views.

hope that helps.


Nice and Clear explanation GMAT TIGER +1 from me. Is this 2/3 Split pattern common on most GMAT Scs ?
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2501
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 505 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Rule 3/2 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 22:08
amitdgr wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:

3-2 rule in SC is a way to eliminate obvious wrong answers for a given question. In most of the cases 2 or 3 answer choices are obvious wrong and rest are not. If that is the case, we can outright eliminate the wrong answer choises and focus on rest not so obvious wrong answer choices. Again wrong answer choices can be 2 or 3. for ex lets see the following question:

In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle other stars.

A. most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle
B. most of them as large or larger than Jupiter and circling
C. most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling
D. mostly at least as large as Jupiter, which circle
E. mostly as large or larger than Jupiter, circling

In this example, 3 AC have "most of them" and 2 have "mostly". Considering "most of them" and "mostly", we can eliminate the ACs with "mostly" because "most of them" is better than "mostly". so now we can eliminate 2 ACs, D and E. Now lets focus on A, B, and C. A is wrong because it lacks the correct idiom, which should be "as large as" or larger than". Same with B too. So C should be correct.

Alternatively, we can divide the 5 AC into 2 3 and 2 as per the idiom. if so, the incorrect 3 ACs are A, B and E. If so, we are left with 2 ACs C and D. Between C and D, C is better because the sentence is not talking about the circling of Jupitor rather its about circling of 80 massive planets. so C wins.

So we can use thbis method in any way we feel better. I am sure others have better views.

hope that helps.


Nice and Clear explanation GMAT TIGER +1 from me. Is this 2/3 Split pattern common on most GMAT Scs ?


I would say not for all but more than 50% of questoins are of such types.

to be on safe side, if the pattern such as above arrives, 2/3 or 3/2 split can easily be applied.
_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Re: SC Rule 3/2   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2008, 22:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic I have found moderate success with the 3+2 rule while ivinayak 4 14 Jul 2012, 20:53
SC_Federal Rules suntaurian 3 25 Feb 2008, 11:26
SC - Is there a rule - Each Other and Another akhilsakpal 3 18 Dec 2007, 19:29
SC-deciding singular / plural + refferent rule old_dream_1976 4 12 Jan 2006, 19:57
SC: British Rule gayathri 3 07 Dec 2004, 21:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

SC Rule 3/2

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.