Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

School Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
School Help [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 11:43
I am planning on applying to MBA school in 2012.

The real question I have is--Do you highly recommend applying to all schools in Round 1? Additionally, do schools in the EU function the same way?
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: School Help [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 14:02
misterchipper wrote:

The real question I have is--Do you highly recommend applying to all schools in Round 1? Additionally, do schools in the EU function the same way?

The easy answer to that is, yes. The earlier you apply, the more seats you have available for admission. If you are waitlisted, the more opportunity you have to get off it in subsequent rounds. If you are dinged, you still have time to assess your application for weaknesses and apply to other schools with a better strategy.

Since you are planning early this may not apply but, it is always better to apply when your application is the strongest. For example, if you have done a rush job on your essays, or think the GMAT score is not indicative of your abilities, don't apply in an earlier round at the risk of compromising on the strength of your application.

Best thing is, plan ahead. Get your GMAT out of the way early, so you have summer and part of the fall to prepare and polish your application and get it in front of the AdCom in the best shape you can get it.

For more tips on what to do before you apply, take a look at http://gmatclub.com/forum/advice-for-graduating-senior-90198.html

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further when you are ready to start applying. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages tailored to your admission needs.

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: School Help [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 09:14
Expert's post
Mister Chipper:
Schools in the EU do function the same way, for the most part, with rounds and stated deadlines.
However, the EU programs are generally pushed back with respect to R1 et al deadlines.
US programs begin to hit in October with R1's for EU generally lagging by a 4 to 8 weeks.

I do recommend trying to get in all applications in R1. This is dependent on your hedging strategy. I believe the most you can pull off for R1 given your other responsibilities (ie. work/family) is 5. For example, it takes about 8 to 10 weeks to put together a good package if you are working with these many schools for R1. So plan accordingly, get the GMAT out of the way and start on essay construction. Keep in mind that most essay topics come out in September. A tip is that you can start to evaluate last year's topics as school essay questions do not change markedly from year to year.

A quick rule of thumb is that the first application will take about 6 weeks to get down, with the 2nd being 2/3 of that time. Keep multiplying by 2/3 for each consecutive school. The first app should be blown out in its entirety before firing up the 2nd one. You don't want to burn the candle at both ends lest you end up turning into a pair of fingercuffs. After the 2nd app, then you can start to overlap.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

misterchipper wrote:

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Re: School Help   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2010, 09:14