Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 578 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Scoring algorithm confusion [#permalink]
Hey,

Scores on the GMAT are not based on the percentage of questions answered correctly. On the GMAT, most people actually answer similar percentages of questions correctly, typically in the 50% to 70% range (even at high scoring levels). You can think of the GMAT as a test that searches for each person’s “60% level,” or the difficulty range in which the person is able to answer approximately 60% of the questions correctly. (This is not exactly what happens, but it’s a good way to think of the difference between “regular” tests and computer-adaptive tests.) Your score will be determined by the difficulty of the questions that you answer correctly versus the difficulty of those that you answer incorrectly.

Hope this helps!

Matt Mapplebeck
Online Marketing Associate
Manhattan GMAT
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
lol - just saw Matt's post. Matt, it's like we were mind-melding!
:)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ya bt the same is nt repeated in the verbal section..bec I alwas get all the 500-600 level questions right ..600-700 is 60 to 70 % correct and above 700 I get only 30 to max 50% correct and I land up getting meagre 30 or max31
Intern
Intern
Send PM
StaceyKoprince wrote:
You can get many questions wrong and still get a very good score. That's just how the test works.

In terms of how exactly the algorithm works - it would take me several hours and many charts to truly explain, as it's extremely complicated. It is NOT based on percentage correct, and most people answer about 60% of the questions correctly regardless of scoring level. One way to think about it is this: the test is trying to find your 60% level, or the level at which you can answer about 60% of the questions correctly. (This isn't actually what's happening, but it's still a good way of understanding what's happening.)

Why isn't the test looking for your 100% level? Well, if you can answer 100% of the 70th percentile questions correctly, have I just found your maximum scoring level? No, because I don't know whether you can also answer 100% of the 80th percentile questions correctly. If you can, your score should be higher. So looking for the "100% correct" level actually isn't useful on an adaptive test.

But if I see that you can answer all of the 70th percentile Qs and around half or so of the 80th percentile Qs and none of the 90th percentile Qs... well, then I have a pretty solid idea of your scoring level. See how that works?

If you want to know more details about what's really going on, read the Scoring section of our free e-book The GMAT Uncovered. (If you have an account with us, the book is already sitting right there in your student center.) Even this is just a high-level summary because the algorithm's unbelievably complex (and they don't release all of the nitty-gritty details anyway).

Ya bt the same is nt repeated in the verbal section..bec I alwas get all the 500-600 level questions right ..600-700 is 60 to 70 % correct and above 700 I get only 30 to max 50% correct and I land up getting meagre 30 or max31
GMAT Club Bot