Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 21:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scoring Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Scoring Question [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 08:46
so trying to understand....

is each question on the test assigned a certain percentage that testtakers have gotten correct? so there are such things as a 700 question, a 750 question, an 800 question?

Or are they grouped by just certain levels, so all the 700 level questions are of equal difficulty, and the more you get right the higher the score?

So if you are at the 750 level after question lets say 20, would you get a 760 level question? and then if u get that wrong a 740? get that right back up to 750? but that means you can go back and forth right and wrong and still get a 750.

Another example if you get the first 30 questions right, would the last 11 questions be lets say an 800 level question meaning that over 99.9 % of the respondants answered eac of them incorrectly?

I am not sure if that made sense, but just trying to figure it out.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 09:08
From what I've read, GMAC doesn't disclose the details of the algorithms that drive their test. The Princeton Review book (I'm just going from memory here so I may be wrong) said that they estimate that the test probably has like five different "bins", or five different difficulty levels.

If you think about it, it would be very difficult to have more than 4 or 5 difficulty levels, because "difficulty" is such a subjective thing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 09:21
johnnyx9 wrote:
From what I've read, GMAC doesn't disclose the details of the algorithms that drive their test. The Princeton Review book (I'm just going from memory here so I may be wrong) said that they estimate that the test probably has like five different "bins", or five different difficulty levels.

If you think about it, it would be very difficult to have more than 4 or 5 difficulty levels, because "difficulty" is such a subjective thing.

i dont believe "difficulty" in this case is subjective.
i imagine that the "difficulty rating" is derived from the experimental questions and their success rate.
If that were true, you could have 10 or 20 "difficulty bins."
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 10:58
I agree with you on that cookie monster, they know exactly how hard each question is based on the percentage right from past exams and experimental questions. so there could be a 700-730 Bin 730-760 Bin a 760+ bin , I am surprised that information never leaked out of GMAC, the information is more secure than CIA or NSA data
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 11:02
CookieMonster,

I guess you're right, a ranking could be assigned based on how often a question is answered correctly. Good point.
  [#permalink] 02 Mar 2007, 11:02