Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 02:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Second/Third Post-MBA Job Data

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.16
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 6

Second/Third Post-MBA Job Data [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 10:19
As part of my search for a list of 3-4 schools to apply to this fall, I've looked up target school employment reports and compared them to see how they stack against each other in terms of career field placement and geographic location. (No surprises) Consulting/i-banking were huge on the lists for first post-MBA jobs, and (no surprises again) graduates were pretty skewed towards picking up jobs in the immediate geographic area. The comparison was kind of useful, but not all that helpful for trying to figure out where MBA grads from different schools land after several years. A lot of people in consulting/i-banking will move on to different things, and people will move around the world too.

Does anyone know where to get info on employment/location stats at least 3-5 years after graduation? I get surveys from my college and high school every so often on this stuff, and I figure business schools would be even more proactive in reaching out to their alumni. I've searched school websites, alumni websites, and blogs/forums, but I've got nothing. It might be on LinkedIn, but I'm pretty bad at using it.

For me, a business school's network is one of the most important reasons to attend. Even if that network doesn't matter as much after a few years, it definitely doesn't hurt to have plenty of alumni in a career field I want to work in and a place I want to live in. Example: Kellogg's a great school, but 35% of their last class picked up jobs in the midwest. If I want to work on the west coast, I might be at a disadvantage when it comes to the alumni network, unless more people eventually move there.

There's definitely other decision factors for business school like curriculum, student culture, and brand name, but I'll save that for the thousands of other threads on this forum.

Background info: I'm half-undecided on what I want to do post-MBA. The current flavor of the month for me is getting into the entrepreneur/VC community. I've ruled out i-banking and sales/trading, though. I'm on the fence about consulting.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Second/Third Post-MBA Job Data [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 08:46
Expert's post
dukealum7 wrote:
Does anyone know where to get info on employment/location stats at least 3-5 years after graduation? I get surveys from my college and high school every so often on this stuff, and I figure business schools would be even more proactive in reaching out to their alumni. I've searched school websites, alumni websites, and blogs/forums, but I've got nothing. It might be on LinkedIn, but I'm pretty bad at using it.

For me, a business school's network is one of the most important reasons to attend. Even if that network doesn't matter as much after a few years, it definitely doesn't hurt to have plenty of alumni in a career field I want to work in and a place I want to live in. Example: Kellogg's a great school, but 35% of their last class picked up jobs in the midwest. If I want to work on the west coast, I might be at a disadvantage when it comes to the alumni network, unless more people eventually move there.

You are very perceptive to ask this question. From my experience at Fuqua, there is not an official report on alumni geographical distribution. You can get a sense by searching the alumni directory. The b-school alumni directory is much more detailed and useful than the undergrad (Duke Connect directory). In general, I would say that the MBA employment stat is a good proxy for the actually geographic distribution of alumni (at least for Fuqua). As far as career path 3-5 years, that’s harder to gauge. I would imagine a significant drop in consulting and banking careers after 3-5 years.

When you evaluate at the alum network think about 3 things, in addition to the items you listed:
1) Age of the program
2) Class size
3) Helpfulness of alum

Diversity

Re: Second/Third Post-MBA Job Data   [#permalink] 20 May 2013, 08:46