Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sentence correction help

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 151
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 16:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hi

Need help with Sentence correction, doing pretty badly even after going throught the MGMAT SC guide twice.....i had only 4 questions correction out of 15 in my mock test ......even solving only 50% of the practice questions correctly....


losing confidence...any strategy to help me out....
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 333
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 16:26
Have you already gone through this thread: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html#p583568. If not, then I would suggest you to go through it once.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 151
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 19:03
hgp2k wrote:
Have you already gone through this thread: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html#p583568. If not, then I would suggest you to go through it once.


I did go through this.....I totally agree practice will improve SCs however is there a condensed set for practice like our GMAT club math test for quants....
Manager
Manager
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 58
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 19:54
I think first go and read basic and advance English grammar then go for MGMAT.
It helped me to improve my accuracy and to understand explanation better.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 333
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 19:56
I was in the same boat a month back. I was not able to get even 50% of the questions right. So here is what I did:

I first read the "Princeton Verbal Review, 2nd edition" book. This book is OK, good for beginners like us :). I solved all the SC questions from it and got almost 50% of those right. I read the official explanation of ALL the questions (including those I had got right). This improved my accuracy level to 60%.

Then I started with MGMAT SC guide. I followed the same strategy, read the official explanation for ALL the questions. I also posted all questions, for which I could not understand the OA, on GMAT Club. This improved my accuracy level to around 75%.

I think it is more important to understand the concepts than practice. So might want to revisit the strategies and make sure that you have understood the concepts of SC, before you start solving the questions again.

Hope this helps. Pardon me if I have restated few things which you may already know, but I am just trying to help. :gl
Manager
Manager
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 151
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 20:04
hgp2k wrote:
I was in the same boat a month back. I was not able to get even 50% of the questions right. So here is what I did:

I first read the "Princeton Verbal Review, 2nd edition" book. This book is OK, good for beginners like us :). I solved all the SC questions from it and got almost 50% of those right. I read the official explanation of ALL the questions (including those I had got right). This improved my accuracy level to 60%.

Then I started with MGMAT SC guide. I followed the same strategy, read the official explanation for ALL the questions. I also posted all questions, for which I could not understand the OA, on GMAT Club. This improved my accuracy level to around 75%.

I think it is more important to understand the concepts than practice. So might want to revisit the strategies and make sure that you have understood the concepts of SC, before you start solving the questions again.

Hope this helps. Pardon me if I have restated few things which you may already know, but I am just trying to help. :gl


Thanks a lot.....great information
Manager
Manager
Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 182
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 21:12
hmm. I am in the same boat. I get around 60-70% SC correct. For that matter I normally get 65% right for the entire verbal section.
I just went through MGMAT SC. Its a good book but I dont think you can grasp everything in one shot. I am planning to go through it again in a couple of weeks.
I am also planning to do 1000 SC.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 66
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 10

Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 07:29
ISBtarget wrote:
Hi

Need help with Sentence correction, doing pretty badly even after going throught the MGMAT SC guide twice.....i had only 4 questions correction out of 15 in my mock test ......even solving only 50% of the practice questions correctly....


losing confidence...any strategy to help me out....


When I started, I was probably worse than you are now.

The best strategy to get better and quickly improve your SC abilities is to follow the postigs in GMATCLUB deligiently. The best way to get better is to help others get better. Even if you are struggling with SC, make a sincere effort to contribute to each and every discussion in this forum.
I bet you will see the difference in your SC abilities within 2 weeks.
_________________

Consider kudos for a good explanation

Manager
Manager
Joined: 14 Dec 2008
Posts: 171
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 07:52
ISBtarget , if u find any impprovement, the do let me know, i too bad in this stuff.. :-)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 May 2009
Posts: 136
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 45

Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 09:30
all the best guys 8-)
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 17:27
In regards to the original question, what strategies do users actually employ when faced with a tougher SC problem?

I'm a native speaker and have done reasonably well by basically sounding things out and using some intuition, but I feel to really break into the upper end of sentence correction, one must use a bit more of a systematic approach.

A checklist idea advocated by materials seems unnatural and potentially time consuming. Is there a middle ground that anyone uses?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 151
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 15:09
jstauning wrote:
In regards to the original question, what strategies do users actually employ when faced with a tougher SC problem?

I'm a native speaker and have done reasonably well by basically sounding things out and using some intuition, but I feel to really break into the upper end of sentence correction, one must use a bit more of a systematic approach.

A checklist idea advocated by materials seems unnatural and potentially time consuming. Is there a middle ground that anyone uses?

Hi

After my sentence correction prep, gave a gmat prep test, scoredd 50 in quants and 38 in verbal...out of 10 wrong answers in verbal 9 are sentence correction

Someone could help me......something wrong with my prep approach
Re: Sentence correction help   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2009, 15:09
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Help On Sentence Correction hupchew 4 03 Mar 2005, 16:43
New posts Sentence Correction Help chillonamill 6 09 Nov 2006, 05:18
Moved topic Unlike the vast majority of cities, which lie on important ojn 2 10 Jul 2010, 16:30
New posts help in sentence correction ansgmat 1 22 Mar 2011, 17:38
New posts 5 Experts publish their posts in the topic please help with sentence correction ayushalinagar 5 27 Jan 2013, 10:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Sentence correction help

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.