Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval Please! (OasisGC, Ladyroadwarrior, Anyone?)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Eval Please! (OasisGC, Ladyroadwarrior, Anyone?) [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 10:00

Last edited by KiVu on 30 Apr 2013, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Profile Eval Please! (OasisGC, Ladyroadwarrior, Anyone?) [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 19:28
Hello,

Sorry for delay in reply.

Your GMAT - Your GMAT falls within range of all the schools across world, so your GMAT is not a concern at all. For schools mentioned by you (Kellogg, LBS and Booth), your GMAT will not be a constraint at all.

Since you are 32 right now, you would fall in the bracket of older applicants (do not worry though), so a few points

1) Apply to a few more schools. You can set priorities in place, but keep the bracket of no of schools high. top schools would hardly have 5% (or less then 5%) candidates in this age bracket, but at the same time students applying at this age are also on lower side.

2) Your goals do not sound clear and concrete to me, you will have to work on the same. When you apply as an older candidate, the adcom expects you to have crystal clear career path in your mind (especially short term and medium term). You have time, so work on your goals, this process may take time and patience, but hang on with the task and come out with concrete goals.

3) Your chances to schools such as HBS and Wharton would be slim, but you surely have a decent chance for schools from top 5-10 including Yale, Duke, Cornell. Kellogg would be a bit stretch, but I would encourage you to apply considering you differentiate yourself from typical indian IT male.

4) In terms of improving your profile, I might suggest you to develop a strong EC profile during the remaining months, because you might not have something unique to talk about here.

5) I would also suggest you to decide which region do you want to be a part of post MBA. If you think you can go beyond US, you may apply to INSEAD and IMD as well.

Hope this helps

Feel free to revert with your questions, and keep us posted about your progress.

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Eval Please! (OasisGC, Ladyroadwarrior, Anyone?) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 05:40
Thank You OasisGC - that helps! I'd work on your feedback (especially the strong EC - Early Career profile and career goals).

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval Please! (OasisGC, Ladyroadwarrior, Anyone?) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 04:35
i think you'd be a solid candidate for a school in the top 10. wharton, hbs, kellogg could be a stretch, but i'd apply to at least one stretch school because you seem to be right on the border. as you complete your app, my advice is to be careful about including activity from before university. you're already on the older side for most applicants, so that data is very old at this point. and if you do decide to include, be sure to explain what those activities are. in my experience, many int'l applicants do not fully explain the significance of their ECs which then nullifies the fact that they were added. and finally, at the age you'll be applying, demonstrating career progress is essential. the adcom will ask: If he's not where we he wants to be at this this age, how will our program help him? so be sure to be VERY specific about what you'll do after graduating.

best of luck,
-james young

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Eval Please! (OasisGC, Ladyroadwarrior, Anyone?) [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 20:57
Youngjames wrote:
i think you'd be a solid candidate for a school in the top 10. wharton, hbs, kellogg could be a stretch, but i'd apply to at least one stretch school because you seem to be right on the border. as you complete your app, my advice is to be careful about including activity from before university. you're already on the older side for most applicants, so that data is very old at this point. and if you do decide to include, be sure to explain what those activities are. in my experience, many int'l applicants do not fully explain the significance of their ECs which then nullifies the fact that they were added. and finally, at the age you'll be applying, demonstrating career progress is essential. the adcom will ask: If he's not where we he wants to be at this this age, how will our program help him? so be sure to be VERY specific about what you'll do after graduating.

best of luck,
-james young

Thank You James for your feedback. I understand the relevance of "activity from before university" and I do not intend to overstate those activities. My only major concern from my undergrad is the percentage, 67% compared to the topper's almost 90%. So even on a scale of 10, if the topper is considered a 10, I have only scored a 7.4.

Also my Early Career (EC) profile is a classic example of "Early bird gets the worm". The current employer I'm with started off its IT operations 6 yrs ago by taking over an existing firm of about 150 employees. I was the first to be recruited for the product I've been working on since and was involved in developing the team to over 50. I had the opportunity to get involved with almost every new initiative in the team. My 6 years with the current employer can be divied into 3 phases each of which was a new initiative with a great end result. I REALLY grew with the company which now employs over 2500.

The other concern is to substantiate "Why not EMBA? Why a 2 Yr?" - I truly DO NOT believe in an executive MBA, which requires a lot of balancing among work, personal life (wife and probably a kid) and studies.
Re: Profile Eval Please! (OasisGC, Ladyroadwarrior, Anyone?)   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2012, 20:57