Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 08:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shot down!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Shot down! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 22:18
Hi everyone,

I took the GMAT 3 days ago and was shot down with my all time low of 580 (Q42, V27). In my case, I didn't have a good testing centre experience. It was extremely uncomfortable, my computer screen would change colour whenever it pleased, the attendant was busy doing other stuff so when I'd raise my hand for extra scrap material I was waiting for like 2-3 mins sometimes. I tend to write big when I'm giving an exam so this was a big problem for me. Half way into the exam I started panicking for the above mentioned reasons. I got extremely paranoid, stressed and started feeling sick etc, it was horrible! Anyhow, I think I lost my concentration, time and it all went downhill from there on.

During my prep I was scoring between 46 - 49 in Quant and 30 - 37 in verbal. So when I saw the 42 in quant I felt the score was not a true reflection of my ability. I have decided to retake the exam as I am aiming for some of the top schools in Europe. Round 2 GMAT - 7th of November. Eventhough my profile is not so common, I still want to give it another shot and try and get a score somewhere in the 600s atleast. I think the whole testing experience threw me off a little and I hadn't factored that in. All my mock tests were done at home with a decent sized screen, enough desk space etc. The testing centre was a bit of a shocker! I have checked out another centre and that looks much better.

This time around I plan to work on my test taking strategies, maybe go to the local library with my laptop and take a test there. In addition to this I need to work on my verbal techniques. I found myself guessing most of the answers in Quant DS (due to timing) and Verbal CR. What would you guys recommend? In particular, how would you work on verbal? Its taken me a while to come to terms with my score. I still get that sinking feeling everytime I think about it!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shot down! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 23:54
hey aanchalsinha,

first,i would appreciate that you experienced Real Gmat and analyzed how you should proceed next time.
although your score was not as per expectation.
first getting a good score, you should use recommended Gmat stuff only.
OG12 and GMAT Prep is invincible. you can also try for MGMAT test.
one of Gmat CLub Member has scored 700+ just by using OG12 (as per his GMAT brief).
so, Just start Ahead and there is no limit what you can achieve.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Shot down! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 02:46
aanchalsinha wrote:
Hi everyone,

I took the GMAT 3 days ago and was shot down with my all time low of 580 (Q42, V27). In my case, I didn't have a good testing centre experience. It was extremely uncomfortable, my computer screen would change colour whenever it pleased, the attendant was busy doing other stuff so when I'd raise my hand for extra scrap material I was waiting for like 2-3 mins sometimes. I tend to write big when I'm giving an exam so this was a big problem for me. Half way into the exam I started panicking for the above mentioned reasons. I got extremely paranoid, stressed and started feeling sick etc, it was horrible! Anyhow, I think I lost my concentration, time and it all went downhill from there on.

During my prep I was scoring between 46 - 49 in Quant and 30 - 37 in verbal. So when I saw the 42 in quant I felt the score was not a true reflection of my ability. I have decided to retake the exam as I am aiming for some of the top schools in Europe. Round 2 GMAT - 7th of November. Eventhough my profile is not so common, I still want to give it another shot and try and get a score somewhere in the 600s atleast. I think the whole testing experience threw me off a little and I hadn't factored that in. All my mock tests were done at home with a decent sized screen, enough desk space etc. The testing centre was a bit of a shocker! I have checked out another centre and that looks much better.

This time around I plan to work on my test taking strategies, maybe go to the local library with my laptop and take a test there. In addition to this I need to work on my verbal techniques. I found myself guessing most of the answers in Quant DS (due to timing) and Verbal CR. What would you guys recommend? In particular, how would you work on verbal? Its taken me a while to come to terms with my score. I still get that sinking feeling everytime I think about it!

Hi Aanchal,

My advise to you is that you should get good material and that you should work on your weaknesses.

Regards,
Rajat.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Consider to give me kudos if my post helped you.

Intern
Intern
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Shot down! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 22:22
Materials I used:

OG 12
OG Verbal & Quant Review (Did not exhaust these two)
MGMAT SC, CR, RC (the guide I used the most was SC)
Aristotle SC (I used this for certain concepts)

Additional Materials I plan on using:
Powerscore CR Bible (Really need to increase my accuracy with CR)

Weaknesses in Quant: DS questions. My quant isn't weak. I feel the score I got did not reflect my true ability.

Weaknesses in Verbal: CR and RC.

I am struggling to formulate a study plan. Where do I start? Do I start my prep from scratch? Or should I focus on verbal as I feel that's where my weaknesses lie. I think I need to improve my test taking skills. How many tests should I target at taking? I have approximately 7 weeks. Please help!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shot down! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 02:56
everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

This link may help u , how to plan strategy for GMAT.
have a look.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Re: Shot down!   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2011, 02:56