Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I retake? 680 first time, non-MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Should I retake? 680 first time, non-MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 23:49
I'm in a gap year between undergrad and a masters program. Applying to UNC MAC program and Duke MMS. I was a sociology major (I know...) and ended up with a 3.5. Trying to lateral into business with a more related degree.

I didn't study too hard for the GMAT, maybe 20 hours total. Mostly just worked through the Kaplan premiere guide. Took a Kaplan practice test 2 nights before and got a 690. Wound up with a 680 the day of.

Right now I'm earning my living teaching the SAT for two different companies. I am a good standardized test taker. My hours are getting cut back for the holidays and I'm going to have an excess of time. I would really like to get my score up in the mid 700s, not just for some comfort for my current application cycle, but hopefully to avoid taking it again down the road for an MBA program.

My quant section needs more work than verbal. I was very good at math in HS but only took stat and accounting in college. Teaching the SAT to advanced students has helped me brush up a lot, but the presentation of questions on the GMAT is very different than the SAT--even if the subject matter isn't. I need a lot of work with data sufficiency. definitely my weakest section in the official guide initial screening test.

CR I'm fine on, cramming for the LSAT helped with that. RC is also good. I can ace the grammar section on SAT practice tests but find the GMAT SC markedly more difficult. Just missing a few, but really holding back my verbal score.

So first... is it even worth it? 680 isn't bad but I know I can do better. I have the money to buy the prep books and the time to study. At the very least I know it couldn't hurt. Even if I do increase my score 40-50 points, will it make a big difference now for non-MBA programs?

And second, how should I go about doing it? The 650 to 700+ in the sticky seems catered toward my goals. I want to get the Kaplan 800 book as well as the Manhattan advanced quant book. Probably the Manhattan SC book as well.

I know I have the potential for a home run, I just don't know if it's worth going up to bat again. I would really appreciate any input/suggestions.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8186 [1] , given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I retake? 680 first time, non-MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 00:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Do you know the averages for those programs you are applying to? If you are around average (preferably above, then you are safe). If below or around and your GPA is average and all other things average, then it would make sense to retake (taken into consideration how little effort you put into it). most of us have to sweat (profusely for 680). I started at 540 and pretty much crawled my way to 750.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I retake? 680 first time, non-MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 01:01
UNC is 640, 3.4 and Duke is 650, 3.4. By your advice I shouldn't. Probably not worth the time/financial investment. But as someone who is very interested in the testing (and it would probably allow me to get more clients in my tutoring gig) it is tempting.

Probably won't be applying for MBA programs within the 5 year window of when I would take it anyway. I was probably just hoping to find a somewhat productive use of my time while I hold my breath for admissions decisions.

Thanks for the input, the resources you've accumulated here are immensely helpful, wish I had found the website a few months before my test date.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8186 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I retake? 680 first time, non-MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 01:10
Expert's post
Visirale wrote:
UNC is 640, 3.4 and Duke is 650, 3.4. By your advice I shouldn't. Probably not worth the time/financial investment. But as someone who is very interested in the testing (and it would probably allow me to get more clients in my tutoring gig) it is tempting.

Probably won't be applying for MBA programs within the 5 year window of when I would take it anyway. I was probably just hoping to find a somewhat productive use of my time while I hold my breath for admissions decisions.

Thanks for the input, the resources you've accumulated here are immensely helpful, wish I had found the website a few months before my test date.

Here are some more ideas/thoughts:
Is GMAT Useless After Admissions?
A number of people say - No. However, some of the top companies (e.g. McKinsey, Barclays, etc) ask for your GMAT Score on the internship/job application. Also, if you get a good score (90+ percentile, it is something else to put under your achievements section of the resume). Also, if you ever wanted to be a tutor, you need 760 to really get admissions into the inner circle of Veritas, MGMAT, and Kaplan. Here is a discussion on this very subject: gmat-score-use-in-employment-21669.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Should I retake? 680 first time, non-MBA   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2011, 01:10