Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I retake? 680, int. app.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Should I retake? 680, int. app. [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 15:14
Hi all,

After spending my Xmas holidays cramming GMAT I just went for my first attempt this week:

Quantitative 41 (61%)
Verbal 41 (92%)
Overall 680 (86%)

This score is slightly below the 700ish I was getting in the GMATPrep mock exams. The verbal section looks good for a non-native speaker and in my view tough to improve. Clearly, I didn´t do well in quant at all. To be honest, I hate the sort of brain teasers they test despite my background. BTW, my preparation was mostly based on the OG + Q/V reviews, which has proven not enough for the quant section.

So, before moving on, I have to face the $ million question, whether It is worth it to retake the GMAT. I plan to apply for the 2010 incoming class of the usual ivy league schools next october (R1). Given the increase in the number of applications and the notch of these schools, such GMAT is definitely not a big plus, but it´s in the 80% range of any program though. The point is that, given that adcoms bother about reading a 680 GMAT app, I could easily justify that I simply had a bad day in quant (actuary, CFA LIII passed).

Moreover, I guess that the average scores of the top US MBA programs are biased upwards because natives necessarily have to perform better for obvious reasons. I´d appreciate any insight about the extent to which a 700+ is a must for an international applicant (no Asian nationality).

To be honest, I feel confident about my chances of getting admitted but the "700+" factor looks like a big handicap regardless of the rest of your profile.

Thanks for your input and good luck!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I retake? 680, int. app. [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 11:16
if you're not applying until next year, you still have plenty of time to retake it. i would retake it soon so you don't have a break in studying and start to lose information you've learned.

http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I retake? 680, int. app. [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 14:12
With the amount of time you have, if I were you I would re-take.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I retake? 680, int. app. [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 14:57
Thanks guys for your input; I´m probably retaking by August so that I can chill-out and move on with the rest of the beauty contest in the meantime (TOEFL, essays, etc.). My application is allegedly strong but, after putting so much efforts (and money) on all this, I cannot allow to be rejected just because of the GMAT .

I basically prepared during Xmas + a week off with the official materials. As far as I sharpen my mind with tougher stuff it should not be a big deal to break the 700 barrier, but I don´t expect a 750+ either while working 10+ hrs though

Given my very low quant, I´ll obviously focus on DS (one of my weaknesses) and PS. What materials do you recommend? After going through most of the debriefs, apparently the Manhattan GMAT quant books and the GMATClub Challenges are the best resources. In verbal, I hope to keep in good shape just by redoing the official materials and taking the TOEFL. However I´m considering the Powerscore bible to boost SC. Any thoughts?

Thanks and gook luck for all those un R2!
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I retake? 680, int. app. [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 14:57
Thanks guys for your input; I´m probably retaking by August so that I can chill-out and move on with the rest of the beauty contest in the meantime (TOEFL, essays, etc.). My application is allegedly strong but, after putting so much efforts (and money) on all this, I cannot allow to be rejected just because of the GMAT .

I basically prepared during Xmas + a week off with the official materials. As far as I sharpen my mind with tougher stuff it should not be a big deal to break the 700 barrier, but I don´t expect a 750+ either while working 10+ hrs though

Given my very low quant, I´ll obviously focus on DS (one of my weaknesses) and PS. What materials do you recommend? After going through most of the debriefs, apparently the Manhattan GMAT quant books and the GMATClub Challenges are the best resources. In verbal, I hope to keep in good shape just by redoing the official materials and taking the TOEFL. However I´m considering the Powerscore bible to boost SC. Any thoughts? I have just check that 5 out of the 8 Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides are quant stuff, so that I may end up buying the whole set, just another 200 bucks!

Thanks and gook luck for all those in R2!

Last edited by Elultimodelafila on 12 Jan 2009, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I retake? 680, int. app. [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 15:16
You have a pretty good verbal score, considering you're not a native english speaker correct?

Can you tell me what you are studying for your verbal? I'm in need of help in that area.
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I retake? 680, int. app. [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 15:30
bigfernhead wrote:
You have a pretty good verbal score, considering you're not a native english speaker correct?

Can you tell me what you are studying for your verbal? I'm in need of help in that area.

I just used OG + quant and verbal reviews. Well, I read a book named "Ace the GMAT" which I don´t even know whether it is marketed in the US (I was launched by a sort of local Veritas in my country), definitely not that worth it anyway, I just got a few basic tricks but there were a hundred typos all over the book...

Regarding my verbal, I agree with some posters in that the oficial materials are enough for that section. Moreover, I allegedly have a decent level of English, particularly for reading: suscriber to the economist, passed the 3 CFA exams, etc.

After doing every exercise on the OG and the verbal review, I felt quite comfortable with CR and RC, and started to develop some sort of guts feeling for SC that I hope to polish for next time!
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I retake? 680, int. app. [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 14:41
Just registered, I´ll be retaking in June.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I retake? 680, int. app. [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 15:05
good luck with your test.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Re: Should I retake? 680, int. app.   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2009, 15:05