Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sleeping Drivers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 338

Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 03:20
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

27% (02:05) correct 73% (01:25) wrong based on 13 sessions
MainPoint Question
Q15)When drivers are deprived of sleep there are definite behavioral changes, such as slower responses to stimuli and a reduced ability to concentrate, but people’s self-awareness of these changes is poor. Most drivers think they can tell when they are about to fall asleep, but they cannot.
Each of the following illustrates the principle that the passage illustrates EXCEPT:
(A) People who have been drinking alcohol are not good judges of whether they are too drunk to drive.
(B) Elementary school students who dislike arithmetic are not good judges of whether multiplication tables should be included in the school’s curriculum.
(C) Industrial workers who have just been exposed to noxious fumes are not good judges of whether they should keep working.
(D) People who have just donated blood and have become faint are not good judges of whether they are ready to walk out of the facility.
(E) People who are being treated for schizophrenia are not good judges of whether they should continue their medical treatments.

One Final Try.......

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 0

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
RaviChandra wrote:
MainPoint Question
Q15)When drivers are deprived of sleep there are definite behavioral changes, such as slower responses to stimuli and a reduced ability to concentrate, but people’s self-awareness of these changes is poor. Most drivers think they can tell when they are about to fall asleep, but they cannot.
Each of the following illustrates the principle that the passage illustrates EXCEPT:
(A) People who have been drinking alcohol are not good judges of whether they are too drunk to drive. >> Illustrates the same principle.
(B) Elementary school students who dislike arithmetic are not good judges of whether multiplication tables should be included in the school’s curriculum.>>> student who dislikes mathematics will always say "NO" to multiplication tables. They can't do impartial analysis.
(C) Industrial workers who have just been exposed to noxious fumes are not good judges of whether they should keep working>> Correct
(D) People who have just donated blood and have become faint are not good judges of whether they are ready to walk out of the facility.>>> Illustrates the same principle.
(E) People who are being treated for schizophrenia are not good judges of whether they should continue their medical treatments.>>> schizophrenia are not very gud with memory... Impartial judgment is difficult.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 10

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 10:35
it was difficult to paraphrase this stem. i tried but could not succeeded. nice explanation, was waiting for OA
thank you
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 11:04
C
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 11:52
15 . B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 13:23
IMO C. what is the OA?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ICAI, CIMA
Schools: INSEAD, LBS, ISB and......
WE 1: N.C.Rajagopal & Co, Chartered Accountants
WE 2: NCR Consultants Limited

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 20:41
(B) Elementary school students who dislike arithmetic are not good judges of whether multiplication tables should be included in the school’s curriculum.

In all other statements, the person's thought process is affected due to various things. But in case of elementary school students are in the normal state of mind and they can correct decisions.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 05:32
I Will go with B

what is OA?

Success is my Destiny

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 6

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 19:21
Will go with (B)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 749 [0], given: 11

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 19:33
Hey All,

Real confusion here, and it is a tough question! People have already written everything that I would write, so I'm just going to pick a side and explain it.

In B, the issue is that people are biased so can't make an unbiased decision. This is not what happens in any of the other answer choices. Particularly the original; the issue isn't that they are so tired they can't tell they're tired, it's simply that they can't tell their tired. Just as drunk people can't tell they're drunk, workers can't tell the noxious fumes are affecting them, and everything else.

Making C the answer, because the fumes haven't caused a negative effect yet, appears way too subtle for me. The idea that people are biased against something is far more of an outlier. I believe the answer is B. Who wants to argue?

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 33

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
I must say, its a nice question. Got caught by B, and selected the ans. Later realised that C is much better
Here goes the reasoning.

Lets begin by breaking the argument into Free Body Diagram.

When drivers are deprived of sleep there are definite behavioral changes, such as slower responses to stimuli and a reduced ability to concentrate, but people’s self-awareness of these changes is poor. Most drivers think they can tell when they are about to fall asleep, but they cannot.

You may observe that, the group of people under consideration is aware of the problem i.e they are deprived of sleep. Now they are making a decision about something, which is incorrect.

Now lets analyse the options..

(A) People who have been drinking alcohol are not good judges of whether they are too drunk to drive.
>> Notice that people who are drinking alcohol are aware that it may affect driving, yet they are unable to make any decision. So, it matches similar reasoning.

>>Please see that students are aware that they are weak in arithmetic, yet they are unable to decide about multiplication tables. Again a similar reasoning.
(C) Industrial workers who have just been exposed to noxious fumes are not good judges of whether they should keep working.
>> Here comes the answer. You may observe that the group of people are not aware of working under noxious fumes ( I am making an assumption here that they are unaware of the fact, this is a catch ball of this reasoning, but looking at other options we can say that this is an external effect i.e noxious fumes, while all other involves internal such as drinking, math skills, blood donation and medical treatment) and we are talking of their judgement regarding working.

(D) People who have just donated blood and have become faint are not good judges of whether they are ready to walk out of the facility.
>> Similar reasoning, group is aware that they have donated blood, yet unable to take any action.

(E) People who are being treated for schizophrenia are not good judges of whether they should continue their medical treatments.
>> People aware regarding treatment. Similar flow.

This reasoning is based on one critical assumption that group is unaware about presence of noxious fumes. Negating this, makes the reasoning to fail.
I would like you to critically analyse the reasoning..
Thanks..

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 749 [1] , given: 11

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Praveen,

Interesting logic, but it's made me come to dislike the writing of this question. My guess is that the answer is C here, only because that would be the likeliest based on how these questions are written (i.e. the hope is you'll pick B, because it SOUNDS the most different). And I do see what you're saying, that the idea could be people become unable to make an intelligent decision because of some bias.

HOWEVER, the central premise around which you built this argument doesn't exist either in the stem or the answer choice, so it cannot be the issue. If that IS the issue around which the question is built, it's a deeply flawed question.

In the stem, it never says the drivers are not aware of being sleep deprived. In fact, the idea seems to be that they know they are sleep deprived, but they DO NOT understand the consequences of that fact, and drive anyway. In the example you listed, the workers may or may not be aware of the fact that they are working with noxious fumes. The important part is that they ignore the consequences of that fact, and continue working. That sounds EXACTLY like the stem, not different at all. Noxious fumes are poisonous, and to that extent, they likely would have the same effect as "being faint" would (i.e. you no longer can make an intelligent decision about your safety).

By this logic, B is still the most unlike the stem. Instead of some outside force causing the bias (schizophrenia/blood donation/fumes/alcohol/sleep deprivation), it's merely an internal bias against something (math).

To summarize, I would guess the writer of this question wants the answer to be C, because B is such an obvious trap (because it LOOKS so different). But I don't think it's well crafted enough to be convincing in that way, because B does differ in a fundamental way from the stem.

Argument?

-tommy

P.S. Also, this question was listed as a Main Point Question, which it isn't. If that was part of the way it was presented on the page it came from, it would lead me to believe even more deeply it's a flawed question.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 33

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 18:10
This post received
KUDOS
[quote="TommyWallach"]
By this logic, B is still the most unlike the stem. Instead of some outside force causing the bias (schizophrenia/blood donation/fumes/alcohol/sleep deprivation), it's merely an internal bias against something (math).
quote]

Hii Tommy Wallach,
I must appreciate your logic.It seems perfect, and can be taken as make or break point for options.I agree, the correct answer should be B.
Anyways, it has been a great learning solving this question.

Thanks for your logic Wallach.. :wink:

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Kudos [?]: 749 [0], given: 11

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 10:24
Same to you Praveen! It was your extended take on the question that made me really consider it deeply. Well done!

-t

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 6 years in IT

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 21:44
Quote:
MainPoint Question

Answer should be B. All the answer choices like the stimuli are examples, of what a person or a group of people want/do not want to do due to or after something.

However, in B student are judging if multiplication table should be included in school curriculum, which is not the same as judging wht they should do. Its kind of abstract way of coming to the answer. But I hope it works.

To reach a port, we must sail—Sail, not tie at anchor—Sail, not drift.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 05:55
i will go with b

Please do consider giving kudos if you like my posts

2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 989 [2] , given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 15:02
This post received
KUDOS
another reason for B

In all the choices it has stated that the group is aware but they can't judge it properly.
This Judgment is related to their own safety/benefits i.e. within their group, it will affect the subset of people who drink/donated blood etc.

But in option B, it is even for those who like arithmetic, the judgment is not within their group only.
i.e. it will affect the whole set of Elementary school students.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 28

Reviews Badge
Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 16:40
I would go with B , in all other choices there is change due to some external stimuli except B where one just hates mathematics

Run towards the things that make you uncomfortable daily. The greatest risk is not taking risks
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-690-to-730-q50-v38-97356.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 01:21
I would go with C

Pondering between C and D though.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 38

Re: Sleeping Drivers [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 04:27
Another vote for B.

Try to rephrase each choice according to the structure of "Most drivers think they can tell when they are about to fall asleep, but they cannot."

You can rephrase for choice A, C, D and E. But not B.
A: Most people think they can tell when they are too drunk to drive, but they cannot
C: Most industrial workers think they know when they should stop working, but they cannot.
D: Most people who have just donated blood think they can tell when they are ready to walk out, but they cannot.
E: Most people who are being treated for schizophrenia think they can tell when they can halt their medical treatments, but they cannot.

Can you do that with B?
Re: Sleeping Drivers   [#permalink] 11 May 2010, 04:27