Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

So it begins... Fall 2008

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

So it begins... Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 21:29
So I'm sure some of us are beginning to seriously think about Fall 2008 applications. Here's what I have so far on my CV...

GMAT: 700 (Q:44, V:40)
GPA: Undergrad 3.2, MBA pending, but expected to be around 3.75.
LOR: I'll manage to secure 1 from our dean, and 2 from relatively prominent professors (from sociology and anthropology). All graduated from top 10 PhD programs, some being alumni to programs I plan to apply to.
Research experience: 4 conference papers, attempting to squeeze in 1 or 2 journal articles if I can.

My GMAT is the only one that I'm worried about. I'm not 100% certain I can get a higher score in time for application deadlines. Main thing is that it takes time to prep for, and from now until January I'll be embroiled in completing my thesis, 1 more conference paper, and 2 journal articles.

Main interest is general Management/OT, so I won't need to look too much at specific programs. My plan is to apply to:

Top Choice: NYU, UPenn, Columbia, UW
Second Choice: Carnegie Mellon, Ohio State, Penn State
Safety: CUNY Baruch
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 18:30
really strong profile..
I would work hard on the SOP and CV. don't underesimate their importance... with so strong cards at your hand - don't lose the game by not concentrating on the important stuff... i don't know what your specific interests are but your application seem to succeed/fail on fit with program. i can only comment on UPENN mgmt department that their focus seem to be on interdisciplinary approaches. so if this appeals to you - you should mention it in your SOP. maybe we can take some courses together next year :)

i wouldn't worry the GMAT as long as you play your cards reasonably well.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 21:51
Hobbit:

Since I made the first post I dug deeper into the professors at the universities I wanted to apply to. For UPenn and NYU, it seems my fit is with the various professors of "Management and Sociology". These amount to only a handful in the two programs though. Therefore the overall program fit may not be 100%, but I can find professors who seem great. I guess it's a good idea to start emailing the profs and talking to them, lol.

Columbia's faculty is studded with backgrounds and research in sociology, psychology, strategy, ethics... on a whole less finance heavy than UPenn and NYU. Program fit is better, but it's harder to lock down a specific professor to talk to.

How would one approach these profs? In the past I've had exchanges with profs when I asked them for clarifications on papers/measures or brief exchanges of opinions on their publications, and found them to be extremely receptive on that matter. For some reason this time around no matter what I do it would seem like a blatant attempt to say "Hey, I want in on your program, I'm trying to rub up against you!!!". :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 06:19
I looked at the profiles at www.gradjournal.com. I would say your GPA are quite in line with those who were accepted to some of the programs, although your GMAT is on the low-side.

However, your strength would be your research experience and publications.

Regarding approaching the profs, I suggest you try to contact them thru your recommenders. I find such networking pretty effective. Another group of people that you can approach to network for you would be profs who graduated from the program recently. Talk to them to find out about the programs and they might help you to connect to some other people.

Alternatively, you can contact the prof directly, saying you are applying to the program and have read this paper of his, and you have some thoughts about it.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 08:56
Whoa, that's a useful site! Thanx! But a look at all the credentials also convinced me that it would be nice to boost my GMAT as a bit of added security. Guess I'll dig in and try some hardcore studying for a month and pull my quant up even more.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 10:03
I don't think it is a bad idea for you to redo the GMAT. But you may need to get at least 750 to make the new score meaningful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 15:43
tkkoh wrote:
I don't think it is a bad idea for you to redo the GMAT. But you may need to get at least 750 to make the new score meaningful.

I don't know what your aspirations are.... but i think it is a bad idea to redo the gmat. it will move your focus in this crucial time from networking with professors, consolidate your research interest and prepare an excellent case for your admission to doing the gmat. and don't underestimate the risk that you might get a lower score.... and the fact that some 750+ were admitted doesn's say much, those were also rejected by others. and evne in gradjournal you can ee people getting accepted with sub700 scores.

so in my view - the risk is to high, the gain from redoing gmat is too low, and you spend valuable time that you should invest in other things (reading papers related to your research, for example).
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 19:34
hobbit:

The risk is actually pretty high... I looked at my precentages again and my Q is at 77%, so a 3% increase, not to mention getting at least to a 750 level to adjust for the +-30 rule... well...

On gradjournal, it seems the only person that got into any of my first choices schools is you, in at UPenn with a 780 :roll: Then again, NYU rejected three people, 2 with above 750, and a third with GRE scores, which I'm not sure how to translate to an equivalent GMAT score. I'm hoping more people upload their profiles for a more complete picture...

In my head I know GMAT doesn't really count for *much* in the application process, but it's hard to shake away the what-ifs and not wanting to leave anything to chance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 08:44
Kumbaya wrote:

On gradjournal, it seems the only person that got into any of my first choices schools is you, in at UPenn with a 780 :roll: Then again, NYU rejected three people, 2 with above 750, and a third with GRE scores, which I'm not sure how to translate to an equivalent GMAT score. I'm hoping more people upload their profiles for a more complete picture...

but remember, that my same application was rejected by kellogg, haravard and even MIT - and i'm pretty sure these programs accepted some 730+- to their programs. i'm also sure that if i asked other students in mydepartment (i won't though...) - i'd find that wharton accepted someone at around 700-730 GMAT.

each program admits so few people, and there are only a handful of top programs, and gradjournal's statistics is still not established rnough to draw conclusions.

but i think the statistics will never be really established ad meaningful - after the initial screening, i think they don't look again on your gmat - and all decisions are made on an individual case basis, with gmat playing a minor role if at all.

also - i would suggest looking on the calendar. you have about 3-4 months. geting your gmat better will take you around 1-2 months to complete - which leaves you only 2 months to work on your applications seriously. how many applications you are going to make? ho much research you want to invest in choosing the right school? you need time to contact profs (if you'd like) and recommenders. it takes time.

2 months to create 4-5 good applications is not enough in my view.

so it is a tradeoff... you can improve your gmat. but i may cost you by reducing the quality of the SOP etc.... the latter are way more important in the application.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 19:52
hobbit:

Right this moment, a GMAT retake is floating further and further away as I just accepted another professor's offer to work on a paper... But I'm still taking half an hour each day to do 5-10 GMAT questions, just to stay warm... never know if an adcom might contact me and says "You know... we like you, but you should retake." What's 30 minutes out of the 18 hours that I'm awake :roll:

I figure if needed I can also assemble a small army of LORs from professors who I've worked with and liked what I did for them. Although maybe in this case less might be more?
  [#permalink] 29 Aug 2007, 19:52