Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some doubts about GMAT score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Some doubts about GMAT score [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 09:27
Dear Linda,

I have some doubts about my GMAT experience.
Some days ago I finally got 710 (Q49, V37). I am really happy, but frankly speaking it was my 5th attempt.
It was extremely difficult fight: 1st attempt was 650, 2nd - 620, 3rd - 650, 4th - 610, 5th - 710. Math varied from 45 to 50, my weakness was Verbal section.
Now I think that because of big quantity of attempts and quite wide range of scores these data can cast a shadow on my application package. Are my doubts valid?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

With best regards,
Russianflame.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

Re: Some doubts about GMAT score [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 13:06
Expert's post
russianflame wrote:
Dear Linda,

I have some doubts about my GMAT experience.
Some days ago I finally got 710 (Q49, V37). I am really happy, but frankly speaking it was my 5th attempt.
It was extremely difficult fight: 1st attempt was 650, 2nd - 620, 3rd - 650, 4th - 610, 5th - 710. Math varied from 45 to 50, my weakness was Verbal section.
Now I think that because of big quantity of attempts and quite wide range of scores these data can cast a shadow on my application package. Are my doubts valid?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

With best regards,
Russianflame.

Your three most recent scores are reported to the schools. So unless you applied previously, the schools won't know about the first two administrations. EVen if you did apply previously, someone would have to go through your original application throoughly to realize this was a fifth adminstration.

The schools give greatest consideration to the highest score, which in your case is the most recent one. They will see the two earlier ones, but all the information in the context of your overall application. So if your grades are good and the rest of your application is competitive, the fact that earned the 710 on your third attempt will not cast a shadow. If they have other reasons to doubt your qualifications, then this may be one more small factor. But on its own, it will not keep you out.

For more on the GMAT in admissions, please see "The GMAT in MBA Admissions: Fact and Fiction."

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 23:38
Linda, thanks a lot for your response.

I have 1 additional question:
I am going to apply to INSEAD. Application package of this school has 2 questions related to GMAT:
1. How many times have you taken GMAT test in the last 5 years?
2. Please make sure to have ALL you official scores sent to us.

Can you suggest what to make in this situation? Obviously it is better to write about last 3 attempts, but I do not want to lie in my application package not only in essays, but also in another parts of it... It is real dilemma for me... :?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

[#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2004, 14:36
Expert's post
russianflame wrote:
Linda, thanks a lot for your response.

I have 1 additional question:
I am going to apply to INSEAD. Application package of this school has 2 questions related to GMAT:
1. How many times have you taken GMAT test in the last 5 years?
2. Please make sure to have ALL you official scores sent to us.

Can you suggest what to make in this situation? Obviously it is better to write about last 3 attempts, but I do not want to lie in my application package not only in essays, but also in another parts of it... It is real dilemma for me... :?

You're welcome.

1) Say "5."
2) Ask Insead how to handle this issue. GMAC says:

Quote:
Only scores from the your three most recent test dates within the last five years will be reported. If you have taken the test more than three times within the last five years, you may not request scores from an earlier test date.

I suspect Insead will ask you to self-report the earlier scores, but check with them.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog