Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Stanford [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 13:54
Ok,
So I thought Stanford would be my dream school and was doing everything in my power to get my app in for the first round. That seems highly unlikely at this point in time because I have to retake the GMAT in October- which means it has to be done and app submitted by Oct. 19. My question is- what are your thoughts on Rounds and Stanford and what they look for? How much does it help being female and applying there too?
I just looked at the statistics and they seem to have the worst of any of the top schools. They attract around the same quantity of apps as Harvard and Wharton but the class size at those schools is approx double.
Stanford acceptance rate is like 10%- pretty darn low.

Is a 2nd round app even worth it there? or perhaps it's better cause they like to waitlist a lot of 1st rounds??
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 43

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 11:12
Expert's post
I've said it 100 times before and I'll say it again... It really doesn't matter whether you apply in the first or second round! All things being equal, sure, I'd rather apply in Round 1. But, if you can create even a slightly stronger app if you wait until R2, then wait!!

After R2, you may as well wait until next year. But they don't fill up all of the seats in R1. B-schools actually get apps in R2 (on average). They know this, so the yplan accordingly in terms of how many people they accept in R1.

Being a female doesn't hurt. It can only help, in my opinion, if they're looking to have a well-rounded class.

Yeah, Stanford always has the lowest acceptance rate, just because their class size is so small.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2005, 09:08
Aside from the admissions rounds, overall, do you think it's even worth to apply if you are just an average younger applicant? I know stanford wants unique individuals or applicants that has done something significant in their lives, what if you don't have that? Does that mean you are check off the list already?
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 43

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2005, 14:21
Expert's post
I'd probably advise that you wait and try to gain some more experience (and hopefully some interesting, unique experience). They won't automatically ding you because you're young, but if you're young AND they don't see anything unique or remarkable, then your chances are probably a lot lower.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews