Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

StemCell Technologies is committed to supporting stem cell

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

StemCell Technologies is committed to supporting stem cell [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 12:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
StemCell Technologies is committed to supporting stem cell and many other areas of life science research worldwide by providing with research tools, which are innovative, timely and consistently high quality.

a. by providing with research tools, which are innovative, timely and consistently high quality.
b. to provide research tools that are innovative, timely and consistent.
c. by providing research tools that are innovative, timely and consistently high quality.
d. in providing enabling research tools that are innovative, timely and of consistently high quality.
e. by providing enabling research tools that are innovative, timely and of consistently high quality.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 12:05
StemCell Technologies is committed to supporting stem cell and many other areas of life science research worldwide by providing with research tools, which are innovative, timely and consistently high quality.

"timely and consistently high..." needs an "of" before consistently.

"committed to ... by" makes more logical sense.

Answer : E

e. by providing enabling research tools that are innovative, timely and of consistently high quality.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 12:48
I think it's b/w A and C

StemCell Technologies is committed to supporting stem cell and many other areas of life science research HOW? by doing something

so by providing research tools that are X Y and Z, where Z doesn't seem || but seems correct (research tools that are high quality)

A has a problem with "PROVIDE WITH" which seems redundant... provide me something, but not provide me WITH something... "provide" to me seems to imply "with"... please correct me if I am wrong :roll:

E introduces new word "enabling" which happens to be a gerund playing a roll of a verb... must be wrong...

C
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Stem Cell [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 13:17
committed to....by providing so between a/c/e, will go with E. Although C is simple and to the point, it is missing "of" in front of 'consistently'. :(
Intern
Intern

Re: SC: Stem Cell [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 13:20
indasun wrote:
committed to....by providing so between a/c/e, will go with E. Although C is simple and to the point, it is missing "of" in front of 'consistently'. :(

'enabling' is used as an adjective to describe the research tools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Stem Cell [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 15:11
MA wrote:

a. by providing with research tools, which are innovative, timely and consistently high quality.
c. by providing research tools that are innovative, timely and consistently high quality.
d. in providing enabling research tools that are innovative, timely and of consistently high quality.

My vote for C.
A: which adds ambiguity
B, D: Ruled out, change the meaning of the sentence
E: providing enabling research is incorrect. It should be "by providing research that enable"
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 18:43
the choice is between C and E

I chose E because I think we need " OF consistetnly high quality"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 19:08
E had two problems:

1- enabling? what does it mean?

2 - not parallel.

"by providing enabling research tools that are innovative, timely and of consistently high quality"

timely and "of consistently" are not parallel.

it should have been

innovative, timely and (are) of consistent high quality

C is right.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 19:52
"enabling research tools is a noun, so there is no redundancy her. "of" consistently high quality is necessary.

(E)

1:23
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 06:45
I caught between C and E.

E has "Enabling word" which might not be really required.
D has the same problem and starts with in. (by seems to me better than in)

So I will go for C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Re: SC: Stem Cell [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 07:12
MA wrote:

I would go in this case for C because goes straight to the point, if someone can shade some light I do not get in E why we need a noun "enabling" that modify research tools we have not learned that as a rule of thumb we should follow the easiest way, in addition there is a speficif rule that address the use "of" why cannot stand without is clear the consistantly reference whithout of I am just wondering if exist a rule that can be applyed not just a supposition based on what u guys hear commonly talking .....

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 11:01
I would pick A:

As per a dictionary:
"provide smbd with goods"/ "provide a car with a radio", while "provide a teacher for a class"

I am not sure "provide smbd with" is a redundancy.

Agree with missing "of"

Would appreciate OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Stem Cell [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 11:36
IMO, E
by providing ... of consistently
So, a,b,c,d are out.

"providing reseach tools" vs "providing enabling research tools"

It can be either way.

If StemCell Technologies is a manufacturer of research tools, then "providing research tools" wins
If StemCell Technologies is a R&D company of research tools, then "providing enabling research tools" wins

The only thing that matters is what you believe.

Manager
Manager

Re: SC: Stem Cell [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 11:49
MA wrote:

A->which are consistently high quality is wrong (which are of is correct).
B->Commited to X by doing Y is correct.SO eliminated
C->research tools that are consitently high quality is wrong(missing of)
D->Commited to X by doing Y is correct.SO eliminated
E->Commited to X by doing Y is correct and enabling research tools is a noun.Also, providing X that are of consistently high quality is correct.

So, the answer should be E.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 11:58
good job guys. OA is E.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Stem Cell [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 15:34
I was able to eliminate B & D right away. A changed the tense to had to go as well.

I struggled with C & E. I was thrown initially by the use of 'enabling' in E. It makes sense gramatically, but it seemed to change the meaning. In the end, I went with E because it included 'of consistently high quality', which I think is necessary to complete the sentence.

I'm not totally convinced that E does not change the intended meaning, but it is the only answer that is correct gramatically.
Re: SC: Stem Cell   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2006, 15:34