Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stern vs. Tuck

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

Stern vs. Tuck [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 05:15
Hi all,

I was fortunate to be admitted to Stern and Tuck. I am looking to switch to finance (no finance background) with a specific interest in IB or if all the stars in the universe aligned, hedge funds. From the stats it looks like Stern is an IB/finance powerhouse but they don't look as good in exotic financial careers as Tuck does.

I also like Tuck's community a lot, and received a small scholarship from there. But on the downside, I live in and love New York and my wife wouldn't be able to move with me to Hanover. I think Hanover would be super boring (in terms of locale not friends or community) and it would be a pain in the ass to keep traveling to the city to see my wife (or vice versa).

I am intrigued by the rankings, but ultimately don't care as much since both schools are very good.

Based on the info I gave, I would love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks!

Like the response? Kudos it!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

Re: Stern vs. Tuck [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 14:13
Since you and your wife are already living in NYC, it would be less of a "complete life change" to move to Hanover where your wife would not be making any (or as much) money, which is a very important consideration.

I don't think Tuck's fellowship should weigh too heavily on your decision, since like you've mentioned costs of traveling to NY to see your wife and recruit there (for finance) would outweigh future inflow of money you'll get in a finance career.

I think you've already made your decision. You should call NYU and tell them that a top school offered you an attractive scholarship but you want to see what they can do/if they can match.
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

Re: Stern vs. Tuck [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 09:41
Thanks neildiamond! I think you're right -- hopefully I'll be making the right decision.

Like the response? Kudos it!

Re: Stern vs. Tuck   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2011, 09:41