Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stuck!! Need help Please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Stuck!! Need help Please! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 11:38
I am preparing for my second attempt on the GMAT. I was greatly disappointed the first time around with a 620 47q and I forget the verbal. This time around I have been focusing more on the verbal concepts since that was an obvious area of weakness. Here are my recent cats:

Mgmat
1: 590 (43,29)week 1
2: 650 (45,34)week 2
3: 640 (41,36)week 4
4: 660 (44,36)week 5
5: 640 (44,34)week 7
6: 650 (44,35)week 8

GMAT Prep
1: 660 (47,36) in week 3
retake: 700 (46,40) in week 6

PR
590 (45,26) also in week 8: not sure what happened here or if it is a reliable exam.

Need advice ASAP. I plan to take the exam in the next couple of weeks and I need to break 700 because of my undergraduate GPA.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8827 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Stuck!! Need help Please! [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 02:30
Expert's post
Hi Arctic - welcome to GMAT Club!

What materials have you used?
What is your weakest area/section in verbal?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Stuck!! Need help Please! [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 07:22
The first time around in my test prep I mainly used kaplan and OG10 (two years ago). This time around I have been using mgmat books, GMATclub, and OG12.

On the verbal sections my weakest areas seem to change depending on the test. SC was my weakest area at the beginning of my prep and it has improved a lot since my prep began two months ago; however, it is still most likely my weakest link. CR is probably my strongest area on the verbal section.

On the Quant section, I have timing issues. I just cant complete all of the problems with accuracy in the time given. Maybe that is just because the mgmat quant is tougher than the actual gmat?

I am pretty confident I can score a 45-50 on the quant section on the actual gmat since I have done so on the Prep software. I just need to boost my verbal a few points higher to 40+ and I will be golden.

Thank you for the help!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8827 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Stuck!! Need help Please! [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 08:56
Expert's post
You decide what you do.
You can improve in several areas a little or focus all of your attention on one area. Keep in mind - verbal takes a while to get there and you must follow each strategy in the book exactly as it is written - exactly to every detail, step, etc. You have the right books - MGMAT. Go through a few sections again and take notes this time - see if that makes a difference. Also, look at what mistakes you make the most and either print them out or save somehow to go over at a later time - never leave a question you missed. You may encounter a similar one on the GMAT. Most people use some sort of an error log.

I would also try to spend as much time in the evenings reading as I could - that was my strategy to get my verbal up: gmat fiction.

P.S.
Here is something about timing:
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Stuck!! Need help Please! [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 09:18
What reading material would you recommend?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Stuck!! Need help Please! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 00:36
Hi everybody.Since i have been working (for 20 years in fact) I did not have the luxury of a long prep time for GMAT. I took one month's leave. I studied entirely from the OG and Quantitative Review and studied exclusively from these two. Initial brushing up of basic skills was from GMAT for Dummies especially since I had studied math a long time back. I also purchased the previous years papers from the GMAT site.These papers are worth it. In the twenty two days that I could study, I used to revise OG in the forenoon and give tests in the afternoon session. The questions that I got wrong in the OG I used to mark for further revision. That strategy is useful if you are hard pressed for time, like I was. I got a decent score, 710 and 6 for AWA.Am applying for INSEAD, ISB, SAID,Queens, Ivey and Judge

Cheers
Re: Stuck!! Need help Please!   [#permalink] 23 May 2010, 00:36