Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Study gmat everyday... Possible?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Study gmat everyday... Possible? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 05:25
Hi all,

I would need all experts and every hearted buddies for advise.

I am a husband working in investment bank. After 8am to 7pm work, I am back home with very tired body...

Is it possible for me to have a study plan that needs everyday study?

Im so helpless...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 68

Reviews Badge
Re: Study gmat everyday... Possible? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
mba201456 wrote:
Hi all,

I am a husband working in investment bank. After 8am to 7pm work, I am back home with very tired body...

Im so helpless...

I'm sure other people will jump in with suggestions as well but here are mine:

Take advantage of every free minute you have. Do you have a lunch break at work? Bring a GMAT book to work and review over your lunch or any other break time. I wouldn't try to teach yourself something new if you only have 15 minutes, but go over something you're not sure on.

Do you drive in or take the train/bus? If you're being driven into work on public transit then you can use that time to read as well. It's not as good as sitting at your desk or table and tackling the GMAT stuff head-on, but if you're in a bind and you're as busy as you are - it will help.

Aside from that, do you ever get downtime at work? This time of the month (I work in investments as well) is super slow and I'm getting some free time to devote to GMAT studies. Next month will not be like that (...gotta love quarter end!) but my free time at work is spent on GMAT studying - as long as I am finished with everything on my plate.

Then we've got the time after work. If you could devote an hour or so even that would help you. Try to wake up an hour earlier than normal (if you're a morning person) or sacrifice that extra hour of sleep.

Finally - we have the weekend. If you have weekends free, this will be the best time for you to study. Set aside as much time as possible and use your weekends as best you can.

But, your best option is to use time you're currently not utilizing. For me, it was my commute and my lunch hour at work. Try using these times first, see how much that allows you to study and try to expand from there.

Good luck!

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 553 [1] , given: 5

Re: Study gmat everyday... Possible? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 13:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
For investment bankers, you should definitely schedule vacation days before your actual exam. Studying for GMAT when you get home is almost impossible - you're tired by the time you get home and want to do nothing but relax. Instead, try to fit in some studying on your way to work. Either get something on your iPhone/iPad (you can try the gmatpill app) or you can get a book or some PDFs. Study it on your ride to work.

You'll also need the resource at work. Sure, investment bankers work crazy hours. But there's also definitely down time in between the meetings and 5pm when the senior bankers pile on the real work. During this down time, some of it may be spent interacting with colleagues, etc. You'll want to be at a comfortable stage where you can back away from being "social" and concentrate on being "solitary" as you practice some GMAT questions at your desk.

This is the only way to continue some of the training gradually. You don't want to study once a week - because after a week you just lose the stuff you learned. You want to have some heavy sessions on the wkends (learn concepts, go through new questions). Then during the week, you review a little bit.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3777 [1] , given: 148

Re: Study gmat everyday... Possible? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 20:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mba201456 wrote:
Hi all,

Im so helpless...

Studying is hard - especially for people who are working - and most for people working crazy hrs. But the fact is that it is do-able. If you discipline your mind, your body will follow. As a person who works and studies, perhaps I can give you some insight on what works for me.

Do not get torn between work and study on an everyday basis. Allot x time for work and y for study. You work 8 to 7 - great, don't worry about GMAT at that time else your work will suffer. If there is a specific slot during that time that you can easily devote to studying everyday, then ok (e.g. if you don't drive, you can use the commute) else don't try to steal time away from every work activity - it will only frustrate you.

Once you are home, take a couple of hrs to relax and spend time with your family. At 9, hit your GMAT books till 11 (or perhaps only 1 hr to begin with). Plan that everyday you will study for 1 hr/2 hrs from this time to this and stick to it. If you know you are going to study at night, you will not feel guilty about not studying during the day. Since you know you will work whole heartedly during the day, you will not feel that you are cutting corners on work front. Don't be involved in both the things at the same time, else you will not do well in either.

Try to get a lot covered over the weekend. Keep the activities that need more focus and concentration for the weekend. Work on easier topics during weekdays.
Discipline will be the key.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Study gmat everyday... Possible?   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2013, 20:08