Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Study Plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 196 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Study Plan [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
I have sent somebody what I think a good study plan could be, I think I might as well post it out in another thread so other people who might be intersted can also see it, and talk about it. :)

In the first stage, what I would do is a systematic overview, both for math and SC. In other words, I would pick a book (Kaplan or something, I have not read them myself, so I can't give you my opinion about how good they are.) and read through it, doing its questions along the way, but not study each and every choices just yet. The purpose is to first get yourself to be familiar with the subjects, especially if you are not a fresh graduate from school and may not remember all the materials that you were taught. The second purpose is to identify your weak areas, be it probability or combination, or something else. Read a bit more about it, do some more questions.

In the second stage, I would start with a PowerPrep test. The full test, with AWAs. This would give me a feeling about the test, and a feeling about what my level is. Then I would study the OG very diligently, especailly on the area that I'm weak. For example, math is my strong point, I will not spend a lot of time on it. I will simply come to the forum and do some questions, just to keep my brain sharp on the GMAT type questions, and to pick up whatever good points others have and to feel the holes in my own skills. Then I would concentrate on verbal, especially SC, which I have identified in the first stage to be my weakness. I would do the OG questions in 20 or 40 question sessions, timing myself to finish in 35 or 75 minutes. Then I would check my performance. And then I would spend a lot of time going over the questions I just did. I would look at the explanation for each and every choices, with double emphasis on the ones that I wasn't sure (of course I have marked those when I did them) and the ones I didn't do correctly.
If I have a lot of time, I would perhaps do a couple practise test in different points of the second stage, to see how much I'm progressing and to see what area I still need to work on some more.

When I finish this second stage, I should be very confident that I have mastered everything that is to be mastered. I would leave the second PP test to two days before the real test. The last two days I would let myself relax. Review my error logs; Read the list of idomatic usages that I collected myself (I would not use one that is done by the other people, for only I know which one I need to memory and which one I already know); Going over the math question types that I felt hard; Reviewing AWA templates; And browse through new posts in the forum.

Of course this may or may not be a good plan depending on different people's background and situations. I just thought that I'd throw this out for the heck of it. :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 22:30
Nice !
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2005, 08:43
HongHu, thank you for your clear and detailed study plan. It is really helful.

Regards
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2005, 09:07
HongHu,
It is so nice of you to spend time here and give great advice.Most of the folks simply disappear after the test.Thanks much for trying to give back to the community.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 22:44
Honghu, thanks for your great sharing.

Please post your idiom list if you don't mind.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2005, 01:36
Thanks Honghu,

I like this very much and i believe it will do me a lot of good.

It's not over until it's OVER!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2005, 11:11
Thanks Honghu,
this is really helpful.
When people who have scored well advise others about a good study plan to follow they are usually not flexible, and say: "you should do the Arco tests 3 days after you do your first 50 SCs from the OG and then if your math score was below 45 you should review Kaplan 800 at page 22, etc etc etc". In my opinion, this is too complicated and always "stretched", since everyone should forge its own study plan.
I really appreciate your guidelines for a study plan, since they are intended for people who want to know what is good to do and not to overlook on an individual basis, and not "exactly" what to do day by day.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2005, 09:23
Well said Honghu
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Study Plan [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2005, 20:46
HongHu wrote:
I have sent somebody what I think a good study plan could be, I think I might as well post it out in another thread so other people who might be intersted can also see it, and talk about it. :)

In the first stage, what I would do is a systematic overview, both for math and SC. In other words, I would pick a book (Kaplan or something, I have not read them myself, so I can't give you my opinion about how good they are.) and read through it, doing its questions along the way, but not study each and every choices just yet. The purpose is to first get yourself to be familiar with the subjects, especially if you are not a fresh graduate from school and may not remember all the materials that you were taught. The second purpose is to identify your weak areas, be it probability or combination, or something else. Read a bit more about it, do some more questions.

In the second stage, I would start with a PowerPrep test. The full test, with AWAs. This would give me a feeling about the test, and a feeling about what my level is. Then I would study the OG very diligently, especailly on the area that I'm weak. For example, math is my strong point, I will not spend a lot of time on it. I will simply come to the forum and do some questions, just to keep my brain sharp on the GMAT type questions, and to pick up whatever good points others have and to feel the holes in my own skills. Then I would concentrate on verbal, especially SC, which I have identified in the first stage to be my weakness. I would do the OG questions in 20 or 40 question sessions, timing myself to finish in 35 or 75 minutes. Then I would check my performance. And then I would spend a lot of time going over the questions I just did. I would look at the explanation for each and every choices, with double emphasis on the ones that I wasn't sure (of course I have marked those when I did them) and the ones I didn't do correctly.
If I have a lot of time, I would perhaps do a couple practise test in different points of the second stage, to see how much I'm progressing and to see what area I still need to work on some more.

When I finish this second stage, I should be very confident that I have mastered everything that is to be mastered. I would leave the second PP test to two days before the real test. The last two days I would let myself relax. Review my error logs; Read the list of idomatic usages that I collected myself (I would not use one that is done by the other people, for only I know which one I need to memory and which one I already know); Going over the math question types that I felt hard; Reviewing AWA templates; And browse through new posts in the forum.

Of course this may or may not be a good plan depending on different people's background and situations. I just thought that I'd throw this out for the heck of it. :)

Nice one honghu ! Perhaps you might like to say a bit more as to when you start to include GMAT club in your prep work ... think it could be interesting to see how GMAT club can come in to complement whatever materials one might already have :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2005, 21:00
GMAT Club is invaluable because it gives us the ability to study/challenge/solve problems when we are at work :lol: :twisted:
  [#permalink] 13 Jun 2005, 21:00