Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Study Plan/Crunch Time Help?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Study Plan/Crunch Time Help? [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 10:09
Hey guys, I've been lurking around the forums and using some resources for some time. Thanks for everyone who has contributed.

I have scheduled my GMAT exam for the morning of April 3rd. I was wondering what recommendations the community/experts would have on prepping most efficiently in the remaining 3 weeks.

- I have a full time job and do travel some

My tools:
- The Economist GMAT Prep
- Princeton Review GMAT 2012
- The official GMAT 2012 guide
- Jeff Sackman's Total GMAT Math
- An assortment of books from over the years (GMAT Guides)
- A few lessons/notes from my time with tutors.

Background
When I embarked on the quest to take the GMAT I picked up a book about 8 months ago. I took a diagnostic test (the old official GMAT software) and scored a 370! Wow, I needed to refresh, I found myself not understanding questions, having no clue on how to do long division, and not one formula remembered.

I worked with some tutors and read through some books. I started working through the Economist GMAT prep and found it very helpful. It seems to continue to beat the horse on specific areas so I recently ditched it and picked up Jeff Sackman's Total GMAT Math as I wanted to polish my overall quant fundamentals.

Practice Tests (1&2 on the economist gmat prep, 3rd on the official software):
1-6-13: 460 - Q27, V28 (worse than I thought but I knew my quant was weak)
2-3-13: 460 - Q37, V18 (improved on the quant but because that was about all my focus, I ran out of steam/lost focus on the verbal and didn't perform to my ability. I also ran out of time on the quant so had to guess a lot at the end, had 7 questions left with 8 minutes to go)
3-10-13: 570 - Q35, V33 (improved and felt good about it, had to guess on a few but by far my best attempt, still need to build up some focus/endurance. My pace was good as I had about 2mins left on the quant and plenty of time on the verbal.)

My goal is to score in the 630-650 range but I'm optimistically realistic. I wouldn't be disappointed if I scored a 620. Anyways, would appreciate any feedback. I plan to continue learning/reading about the fundamentals and taking 3 more practice tests between now and the exam.

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Study Plan/Crunch Time Help? [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 11:37
Also to add a little additional context, I still have some weakness with algebra/exponents and breaking down some word problems/data sufficiency. On the verbal front, most of my weakness is in sentence correction.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 696 [1] , given: 6

Re: Study Plan/Crunch Time Help? [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi swifty,

I think you'd make a lot more progress if you budgeted more time REVIEWING questions you got wrong - rather than taking additional practice tests.

You'll notice similar types of questions keep repeating themselves - if you can identify all the types of questions you could possibly be tested on and identify all the related booby traps - you'll be prepared for anything that comes. It seems you are kind of flying by each practice test without going through that rigorous process to maximize your improvement in as little time as possible.

Your score range is definitely achievable - now just follow the path.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Study Plan/Crunch Time Help?   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2013, 12:34