Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

submit app now or wait?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

submit app now or wait? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 17:14
I have contacted a (young) faculty member in one of the school that I am applying to. Basically the status now is quite neutral - I have not been told whether I am a good match in the school, or should I apply or not, etc.

The app deadline is after Jan 2007, so there is still plenty of time for me to wait. And there is a chance that I MAY meet up with the prof towards the end of the year.

Question is, should I submit my app now or wait until after the meeting? My personal preference is to submit now. And for the meeting, I don't see it affecting much of my app, except perhaps the discussion on my research interest in my essays. Any thoughts?

Also, for applications to the PhD program, does it matter whether you submit your app early or on the last day, since most schools do not have rolling admission?

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 17:11
Hi tkkoh,

I am in the same status with you. I have completed my application materials for 9 schools and will submit them by the end of Oct. I have contacted professors in these schools and got 7 replies. All of them encouraged me to consider applying; some sent their papers for me to read, in addition. My current strategy is to submit the online applications first, mail out the app. packages, read their papers, and visit them early next year.

As to your situation, I suggest you to submit the application first if that professor you contacted is indeed expecting new PhD students for next Fall. Otherwiese, you would better wait for the meeting to find out his reruiting plan and whether you are the best fit for him. If he is not interested in you(I think the chance is low because he agreed to meet you), at least you can save your application fee.

Besides, I think that, for top schools, it is hard to get positive feedbacks from professors. I have emailed to a professor in MIT and got his reply in which he kindly introduced his research and neutrally suggested me to study MIT's website, a study that I had already done.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 23:25
7 replies! That's very good! All the best for your app.

I have given up on contacting the profs by emails. Except for this one who has replied, the rest that I have contacted did not respond at all or positively. I will just apply to those schools anyway.

By the way, I have just submitted the application and mailed out the package for this particular school. Thought it will be better to submit early and try to meet up with the prof later.

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 00:57
Don't be upset. I think that you didn't get possitive replies because all of those professors you emailed are in top schools (I remembered that all of the schools that you are applying to are within top50.) The professors in these schools may receive tons of emails a day.
  [#permalink] 13 Oct 2006, 00:57