Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestions???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Suggestions??? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2005, 20:22
I just took my GMAT today and need some suggestions and help..I got 620 (Q49 V24)..I am just shattered...

I took the test for the first time last month with just 25 days of preparation (Since i work and have a family I was able to spend just 2 hours a day.)...Since i am always very comfortable in Quant i just focussed on Verbal. In 25 days i would have spent 20 days on Verbal and 5 days on Quant..I got 570(Q42 V27)...The mistake that time was time management.I got stumped in Question#4 in Quant and literally did next 10 questions in 9 minutes only to realize that i am ahead in time line...I finished with 3 minutes to go in the Quant section.In verbal i had just 20 mins for last 18 questions and literally answered one RC without reading questions..

This time my focus was very clear , Just to work on Verbal part and manage the quant timing better..I completed entire OG (verbal)with error log and review.In last one month i prepared for 4 hours a day primarily on Verbal and then on practice tests...My practice scores were pretty decent ..(710 on PP , 670 , 780,720 on 800 Score 630 , 610 on Kaplan)...I had much clearer time lines in my mind ..(I will tell cold what time i should take for a RC if it is between 20 and 30)...

This is how my test went...My AWA could not have been worser...I took 5 minutes break and told to myself AWA is not end of the world...My quant first time was a real breeze with just one question tougher..This time it was very different...I got stumped on question number 3..Managed to get it at right after 5 minutes...After Q#6 i was getting series of tougher questions , Including 4 straight questions in Probability and combinations...To my knowledge I did most of them right..Only question i probably guessed was around Q#34. As soon i completed the Quant i told myself there is no better chance than this to get more than 700.

Verbal started much better this time than last time with a S.C which i am sure i got it right.Q#2 was again SC which i hope i did right.Q#3 to Q6 was a RC which was relatively OK. Q7 was a SC and Q8toQ11 again a RC which was little tougher than RC1...I had a bold face question at Q#24 and was feeling happy that i am doing fine...I do not know what went wrong. Infact i got another bold face question at Q#40 and thought all is well...Only problem i could see is again time management. I had 28 mins for last 20 questions but had just 10 mins for last 10 questions...Is it possible that a string of questions say 5 in a row could have made the damage...I am also not sure what kind of preps i shud do to make my score better..I personally feel i am good at RC and to some extent at CR..But the factor is time..Spending 45 mins on first 20 questions and suddenly changing gears to next 20 seems difficult for me....I need help from you guys on this ...

Also I am planning only for a part time MBA..(At this time i am not ready to forego my job and send back family to India and study...)Is it a good idea to retake GMAT or is it better to apply with this...Also I would be thankful if i can get some help on improving the verbal score(I assume i need to retake if the school wants me to improve Verbal Score)...

Thanks for reading and any help is very much appreciated...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2005, 20:58
Hi,

Where are you thinking of applying?

Have you completed any academic work in the US?
Intern
Intern

Suggestions??? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 01:52
Hi Hjort,

Thanks for the reply...

I have not studied in US so far..I have my Masters in Computers from India and 6 years of experience in IT with ERP and SCM as my core strength...My plans are to do a MBA in Consulting or SCM..I am not sure if these are best choices but this is what I had in mind in order of preference...1.NYU Stern Langone program...2.Smith Business School(Weekend MBA Program)3.SMU COX (I have a choice of moving to Dallas on the worst/best case)..4.Rutgers(I was impressed with their competency in SCM but their MBA is not really catchy)...

Now for me it looks like Stern is ruled out due to my score of 620. Smith is still possible coz' last time i called them with 570 they said average is 616 and any score above 600 will be very competitive..But I am not Sure if my Verbal score this time will stop me from getting into Smith...

COX is ruled out as they said 570 itself may be good enough due to my experience but they need a verbal of atleast 30...Rutgers is very much there as they said 570 with my experience would take me in but i had it as last option and do not want to start as only choice....

I am confused as I am running out of time and not too sure about options....

Please let me know if there are other better options for Part time MBA...

Thanks and Regards,
Pradeep
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 08:34
I like the mix of schools you listed. Rutgers is well known in the eastern US and seems to match your interest in SCM.

Have you considered Texas-Austin?

How long have you worked in the US?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 09:27
Hi Hjort,

Thanks for the reply..I actually like the intiatives of rutgers.I spoke to couple of students and they feel the same too..But in general I feel they are known more for their MS program than MBA..Also i am not sure if rutgers will make me as saleable as a Smith or Cox would...Please correct me if i am wrong...

Mccombs was out of my list coz' i have to work in dallas and travelling every day (I couldn't see a weekend program in austin) is difficult
..Now with this score i am sure Mccombs is ruled out as i read in an interview of Dean of Mccombs (in Business Week)he said that if the score is less than 630 no point to apply...

Do you any other info on rutgers???Is it worth doing there(interms of saleability)???

Regards,
Pradeep
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 14:33
ThiruPradeep,

you should try for SMU COX and UT-Austin. I live in the dallas/ft. worth area and know many people who went to COX with scores around 550 or so. Your work experience seems pretty good, so I think you would have a decent shot to get in. You may have a shot at UT as well. I interviewed for their part time MBA program in the DFW area with the associate dean. I think with a 620, you still may have a shot into their FT program.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 15:30
hi hornsfan2005,

Thanks for the reply..It was encouraging...SMU COX is in fact very forthcoming and they do a pre application evaluation..Last time when i sent my resume with the score of 570 she mailed me back saying my verbal needs improvement....This time although my verbal went down she mailed me back saying my profile sounds very good with the score and I should apply...

UT Austin , is my dream college since i saw a college Football match in UTA @2000...I love to be there..I am not sure if their part time schedule fits mine..Will look at it and will give a shot if it fits me...THANKS A LOT FOR THIS INFO AS GETTING A FIRST HAND INFO AT MANY TIMES IS BETTER THAN WHAT WE READ IN JOURNALS....

I appreciate your help...

BTW , Any idea if what score would be good for a STERN PART TIME MBA..I spoke to them and they were very rude..Just said apply and see...

Thanks and Regards,
Pradeep
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 17:37
Hi hornsfan2005,

Thanks for the info abt. UT Austin DFW center..Went thru's the web site and sounds impressive..Am happy that i have one more option to shoot at...

Regards,
Pradeep

Hi Hjort,

I realized i didn't answer ur question on US experience...I have around 1.5 years of US experience and around 2 years in Switzerland...

Regards,
Pradeep
  [#permalink] 07 Mar 2005, 17:37