Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taking classes before applying to MBA program?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Taking classes before applying to MBA program? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 06:49
It has been 10 years since I graduated from college. I have a desire to either enroll in my local university as a non-degree seeking undergraduate student or take e-classes through a reputable university (although they grade pass/fail only so they are more geared towards professionals) so that I have more recent class experience that may help my application.

Does it matter if I take them for credit through my local university or if I take online courses with a pass/fail. Are grades looked at more favorably? I am interested in taking Finance, Statistics and Calculus classes - but may take an Economics class too.

Any tips? Classes that would be worthwhile to show the prospective MBA program that I am a serious student?
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Taking classes before applying to MBA program? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 07:07
Alley01 wrote:
It has been 10 years since I graduated from college. I have a desire to either enroll in my local university as a non-degree seeking undergraduate student or take e-classes through a reputable university (although they grade pass/fail only so they are more geared towards professionals) so that I have more recent class experience that may help my application.

Does it matter if I take them for credit through my local university or if I take online courses with a pass/fail. Are grades looked at more favorably? I am interested in taking Finance, Statistics and Calculus classes - but may take an Economics class too.

Any tips? Classes that would be worthwhile to show the prospective MBA program that I am a serious student?

Try taking graduate level courses
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking classes before applying to MBA program? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 07:50
lagomez wrote:
Alley01 wrote:

I do not want to take Graduate courses before being admitted to a great MBA program. Doing that would require me to transfer from one MBA program to another and I just don't want to travel that route. Plus, I don't want to take the GMAT until after I take these courses and go through the Veritas prep course. I would like to get into a top 10 program if at all possible and so doing things that may make my application more favorable other than getting a great score on the GMAT are high on the priority list.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Taking classes before applying to MBA program? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 07:55
Alley01 wrote:
lagomez wrote:
Alley01 wrote:

I do not want to take Graduate courses before being admitted to a great MBA program. Doing that would require me to transfer from one MBA program to another and I just don't want to travel that route. Plus, I don't want to take the GMAT until after I take these courses and go through the Veritas prep course. I would like to get into a top 10 program if at all possible and so doing things that may make my application more favorable other than getting a great score on the GMAT are high on the priority list.

Don't enroll in an MBA program. Some schools have open enrollments in graduate courses. That was just a suggestion. A graduate course will look better than an undergraduate course (this from an admissions committee member at a top 10 school). Of course, take an undergraduate course if that is the only option. Something is better than nothing.
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking classes before applying to MBA program? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 09:29
Don't enroll in an MBA program. Some schools have open enrollments in graduate courses. That was just a suggestion. A graduate course will look better than an undergraduate course (this from an admissions committee member at a top 10 school). Of course, take an undergraduate course if that is the only option. Something is better than nothing.[/quote]

Are there classes that admissions committees are more interested in seeing from their applicants? The Business schools in my area do not allow any non-degree earning students to attend their graduate classes. They aren't even top programs - maybe top 50. Many other programs allow for that, but all the classes I am interested in are through the Business program.

What do admissions committees think of transfer students? What if I did get admitted to one of the MBA programs just to take classes - would that really make me a good candidate? Wouldn't that just make me a transfer student and move me down the list since I have already been admitted to a program and attended classes through that school?

I am just wondering how transfer students are perceived and how students who have been out of college for as long as I have, who isn't a CEO can make a better case for getting into those top schools. :-D

Sorry for all the questions. I am new to this process and more familiar with Law School Admissions which appear to be so different. But, I really appreciate your feedback!
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Taking classes before applying to MBA program? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 13:17
Alley01 wrote:
Don't enroll in an MBA program. Some schools have open enrollments in graduate courses. That was just a suggestion. A graduate course will look better than an undergraduate course (this from an admissions committee member at a top 10 school). Of course, take an undergraduate course if that is the only option. Something is better than nothing.

Are there classes that admissions committees are more interested in seeing from their applicants? The Business schools in my area do not allow any non-degree earning students to attend their graduate classes. They aren't even top programs - maybe top 50. Many other programs allow for that, but all the classes I am interested in are through the Business program.

What do admissions committees think of transfer students? What if I did get admitted to one of the MBA programs just to take classes - would that really make me a good candidate? Wouldn't that just make me a transfer student and move me down the list since I have already been admitted to a program and attended classes through that school?

I am just wondering how transfer students are perceived and how students who have been out of college for as long as I have, who isn't a CEO can make a better case for getting into those top schools. :-D

Sorry for all the questions. I am new to this process and more familiar with Law School Admissions which appear to be so different. But, I really appreciate your feedback![/quote]

Any top program won't allow transfer credits. I was told to take accounting, macroeconomics, microeconomics, and/or calculus.
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking classes before applying to MBA program? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 16:59
lagomez wrote:
Any top program won't allow transfer credits. I was told to take accounting, macroeconomics, microeconomics, and/or calculus.

Thanks. :)
Re: Taking classes before applying to MBA program?   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2011, 16:59